Thursday, May 31, 2007

Chicken Veggie Braid

Thanks to my mother-in-law for this delicious recipe, which I've adapted slightly from the original Pampered Chef version.

Chicken Veggie Braid

2 c. chopped cooked chicken
1 c. veggies (fresh or frozen)--recipe calls for broccoli, which my husband and I do not care for, so we use frozen peas
1/2 c. chopped red pepper
1 pressed garlic clove
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. light mayo
1 tsp. dried dill weed
2 T. slivered almonds
2 packages (80z.) refrigerated crescent rolls (we use low-fat)
1 egg white

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients (except rolls and egg white) in a bowl and mix gently. Unroll package of rolls but do not separate. Arrange longest side of dough across width of a 12 x 15 cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls and press to seal edges. On longest sides, cut dough into 1 1/2 inch strips 3 inches apart using a pizza cutter. In the 6-inch center, spread mixture evenly across dough. Lift strips of dough across the mixture, twisting once as they meet in the center to form a braid. Use a pastry brush to paint egg white on top of the dough. Bake 25-28 minutes. Cut with a bread knife and serve. Enjoy!

Click here to see a photo of a similar recipe since the "braiding"part is hard to explain.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Carrie I just heard wind that you will not be in Lincoln on July 7. Is that true? (If so, I'm very sad. But I'll survive.)

carrie said...

Kara,

Sad but true. We're going to be in Michigan visiting Eric's family. I'm bummed to miss the big event and seeing all of you! Maybe we meet for ice cream again next time you get up this way.

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie -

Interesting you posted this - I made it last week. It was dark on top and doughy inside. Any suggestions?

Love,
Me

carrie said...

Hey! I'm on right now and just received your comment. I haven't had that happen before, actually. Maybe you could try a different rack in the oven or use a different cookie sheet? Sorry it didn't turn out--I'm glad we could enjoy it together when you were here!