Thursday, May 3, 2007

"Getting to know you . . ."

I recently wrote a list of 100 things about me, with the intention of using it as my first blog post--what better way to introduce myself than through a smattering of random facts? My husband was concerned because I had so much fun writing it and, I admit, re-reading it. "Isn't that a bit narcissistic?," he asked. Well, um, maybe, but it was still an enjoyable project, and I hope you have fun with it, too!

1. I am not a big fan of cats.
2. My husband and I have a beautiful springer spaniel named Reggie.
3. I used to collect crayons and Crayola products.
4. I lived in a suburb of Paris for a summer while I was in college.
5. I love taking personality tests, like Myers-Briggs (I am an ENFJ.)
6. I stopped eating red meat when I was 18.
7. My favorite color is most any shade of blue.
8. I love chocolate and caramel together. Mmm, Twix!
9. My husband and I live almost exactly half-way between his hometown in Michigan and mine in Colorado.
10. I was president of my senior class in high school.
11. My first job was as a receptionist at a salon.
12. I’ve never had to wear braces or glasses. (Sorry to my sister who has dealt with both!)
13. I love healthy cereals, like Kashi Go Lean Crunch and Cascadian Farm granola.
14. When using colored muffin paper liners, I can’t let two of the same color be next to each other. (Strange, I know!)
15. My current favorite scent from Bath and Body Works is black raspberry and vanilla.
16. I am a Christian.
17. I was quite the actress in high school; my favorite role was Gwendolen in The Importance of Being Ernest.
18. I learned to drive on a ’79 Chevette.
19. I majored in English education.
20. My husband and I love playing board games, especially Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan and Scrabble.
21. I’m 5’6” and the tallest woman in my family!
22. My favorite toothpaste is Aquafresh.
23. I want to like sewing, but I don’t.
24. My shoe size is 8.5.
25. I was a dorm director for two years, and found the job to be very well-suited to me.
26. I enjoy watching American Idol (It’s a guilty pleasure!) and Survivor.
27. My husband and I went to Maui for our honeymoon and can’t wait to go back!
28. I was in a boating accident when I was 22 and have been afraid of large bodies of water ever since.
29. My favorite writers are Wendell Berry, Anne Lamott and Lauren Winner.
30. I love Christmas!
31. I am a fan of yoga.
32. My favorite coffeeshop drink is a caramel steamer.
33. I love making lists.
34. I wear jewelry (including earrings) only a few times a year.
35. My spiritual gifts are leadership, encouragement and mercy.
36. I like most kinds of music, except rap, heavy metal, punk, and some country.
37. I had six bridesmaids in my wedding.
38. I have been a bridesmaid five times.
39. My favorite Bible verse is Isaiah 41:9-10.
40. I don’t drink caffeine. (But I do love chocolate!)
41. I have been a loyal subscriber to Real Simple magazine for several years.
42. I’ve lived in four states so far: Kansas, Missouri, Colorado and Iowa.
43. I’m a sucker for movies like Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and all the Jane Austen ones, especially the “original” Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth!
44. It really bothers me when people crack their knuckles and other joints.
45. I used to love playing “Heads Up, Seven Up” in elementary school. I sometimes cheated, by looking at other kids’ shoes. (Just being honest!)
46. When I bake or cook, I rarely measure things exactly.
47. I’ve never smoked a cigarette—just a cigar, once, and I thought it was terrible.
48. I have my orange belt in karate.
49. I was a camp counselor for several summers while I was in high school and college.
50. I enjoy making little cards and crafty things.
51. I haven’t vacuumed in months (Don’t worry, my husband does it—we have a Dyson, and he loves using it!)
52. I get really excited about “small world” connections.
53. I was a Girl Scout for several years.
54. I love all kinds of containers—baskets, jars and bins.
55. I have a group of friends called the Wild Honeys!
56. My favorite pies are apple and pumpkin.
57. I sometimes regret that I don’t know how to play a musical instrument. I’ve tried learning the piano and guitar, but never stuck with either.
58. I am often troubled by stereotypes and generalizations.
59. I love Mexican food, especially burritos and fajitas.
60. I love warmer weather but live in a colder climate (Iowa) and my sister, who enjoys cold weather, lives in South Carolina. Go figure.
61. I do not like “gourmet” cheese (goat, feta)—Kraft cheddar is good enough for me!
62. I love finding a good bargain.
63. My son was the first boy to be born on both sides of the family. He has four girl cousins!
64. In school, I really enjoyed math until I hit Algebra. My husband was a math major.
65. During my freshman year of college, I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. After struggling with it for many years, pregnancy of all things seems to have cleared up my symptoms. Hooray!
66. I don’t have the knack for trump card games, but I’m working on it.
67. In high school, I played basketball and soccer, though neither very well.
68. My favorite chain restaurants are Chili’s and Red Robin.
69. I’m an inconsistent bowler—one game, I’ll get a 108, and the next, 60.
70. I like to sing in the car.
71. I have many amazing friends, but my best friend is my husband.
72. I’m not a stickler about separating colors when it comes to laundry, and rarely has it backfired.
73. I’m a big fan of comfortable shoes, and have only worn high heels for weddings and other formal occasions.
74. I was born seven weeks early.
75. My name, Carrie, means “strength.”
76. I have always liked my name, but when I was younger, I wished my name was Victoria or Karen.
77. My personality changes when I play the game Catch Phrase. I get way into it, and start frantically yelling out clues and answers.
78. I’ve never successfully used chopsticks.
79. I drive a light blue Saturn, which I named Meredith.
80. I do not like most condiments, including mayo, ketchup and mustard.
81. I think the movie Napoleon Dynamite is hilarious. My husband does not.
82. I enjoy shopping at Target, especially hitting all the endcap clearance sales! My husband does not.
83. I used to think gardening sounded boring. Now I’m so excited to watch the veggies grow. What fun to go out and pick fresh ingredients for a meal!
84. I am afraid of airplane bathrooms. They’re so little!
85. I’m OK with regifting, as long as it’s done responsibly.
86. At Olive Garden, I always order all-you-can-eat soup, salad and breadsticks.
87. I enjoy reading the nutrition labels on most foods.
88. I have never seen any of the following popular movie series: Lord of the Rings, Star Wars or Rocky.
89. In 4th grade, I won the class spelling bee with the word “lieutenant.”
90. I don’t wear makeup, but I love lip balms and lotions.
91. I love to organize closets and cabinets. (It runs in my family!)
92. I believe in practicing “reduce, reuse, recycle.”
93. Tulips and daisies are my favorite flowers (“Don’t you think daisies are the friendliest flower?”)
94. I have green eyes.
95. I like living in a small town.
96. I can’t drink milk by itself—I only have it on cereal.
97. I love black and white photographs.
98. On September 11, 2001, I was teaching 8th grade language arts in Colorado Springs. We had the TV on in my classroom for most of the day.
99. I failed my first driver’s license test by pulling out in front of another car. Oops!
100. I am thankful for my family!

6 comments:

jgnichols said...

Carrie,

It must be a guy thing, because I LOVE LISTS! I'm also a survey junkie on MySpace. It makes me want to start a list right now . . . except them my house will never get cleaned! So what am I doing still sitting here!!! Got to go, Christa

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm excited that you have a blog! :) I've enjoyed and appreciated the insights into your sister's life and heart through her blog and am so pleased that now those kinds of "visits" to your life will be available to me through your blog!
Happy blogging! -- Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

What a nice idea Carrie and I am learning new things about my dear daughter in law along the way! Thanks for your sharing in this way!

Carmen said...

The list is great Carrie. Such fun reminders of the uniqueness of you my friend. Glad your sister talked you into blogging!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to follow your journey through this blog! Your "100" list was fun to read through and remember so many of the things that make you so special :) Love, Lisa

Leah in Iowa said...

Just found your blog tonight, as I was reading some of your sister's archives. What do you know - I dislike cats, am a Christian, can't catch on to sewing, and like to make those small-world connections, too. And hey - I'm from Iowa! Glad to have stumbled in here. I'll be back!