Sunday, May 13, 2007

Going once, going twice


Like Merchant Ships would call this a story about a "serendipitous find." Small-town Iowa, where we live, is an auction hotbed. Before Saturday, I had only been to 2: the first time, when I was looking for a used vacuum cleaner (the one listed was in less-than-considerable condition); the 2nd time, I went alone on a whim and ended up bidding on (and winning) something I didn't really want after "choking" (not mustering up the gumption to bid) on the item I really wanted. Oh, well.

A couple of weeks ago, I clipped an ad listing a "unique public auction" this past weekend just three blocks north of our house. I had other errands to run Saturday morning, but decided to check out the auction a couple hours after it started. There was one item in the listing I was particularly interested in: a 5-foot oak church bench. Like my mom and sister, I think these add such a homey touch to an entry or hallway.

When I got to the sale, I noticed that the bench was just a few items away from being up for bid. Surveying the crowd, I decided it would go for much too high a price, and thought I would just watch the proceedings. The auctioneer began the bid at $20 . . . and no one took it! I couldn't believe it. The bid began again at $15, and a man next to me tipped his hat. I stood frozen, my heart pounding. As the auctioneer started to declare the item sold, I raised my hand. I was now in the game! It went back and forth twice, and was declared mine for just $30. I was ecstatic! An older gentleman near me leaned in and said, "You got a great deal on that." "I know," I said. "I'm so excited!"

I hurried home, and relayed the information to my husband, who willingly went back to pick it up. Such a fun piece--and a fun story to go with it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, this bench is beautiful! And I love the story about how it came home to you -- that will be a fun memory that the bench will always be a reminder of! :)
Love, Mom

Kara said...

Very cool. Very Carrie.

thehomespunheart said...

YAY! Carrie, it is amazing! I love it - great deal!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'm soooo jealous! I let one of these slip by a few years ago and still regret it...congratulations on a very cool new addition to your home! Lisa

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
I have always been too chicken to go to an auction. Great story too.
Susan

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

What a find! And what a neat conversation piece.

Amy Jane said...

I've never been to an auction. I wonder how I'd do.

I think well on my feed but I dislike any feeling of being manipulated, and the high-pressure atmosphere of an auction seems calculated to encourage faulty thinking.

Katie said...

Thanks for directing me to this post Carrie! How neat!! :-) Boy, I didn't realize how *popular* they were! :-) That is just very cool, and you can't beat the price! I don't remember how much my mom got hers for, but I know it was a great deal. Thanks again!