Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A small effort to save energy

I am passionate about not being wasteful--it's a topic I think about a lot and hope to live out consistently. One piece of that is making an effort to save energy.

Especially now that warmer weather is here, I feel challenged to use my oven less--or at least to consolidate the times when I'm using it. Yesterday, I wanted to make bruschetta for lunch but didn't want to turn on the oven (as I usually would do) for the few minutes it would take to get it nice and toasty. I was recently inspired by this post to make better use of my more efficient toaster oven, so that's what I did.

Later in the day, I wanted to make a thank-you gift for a friend who watched our son while we went to dinner. I thought about taking a loaf of bread, but had already set aside today for baking. Instead, in just a few minutes, I put together a quick jar mix--using ingredients I already had on hand. So easy and thrifty--plus I saved energy--mine and the oven's.

Simple Sweet Scones

in jar: 2 c. white flour, 1/2 c. wheat flour, 1 T. baking powder, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/2-2/3 c. dried cranberries and ground walnuts

directions: Mix ingredients of jar with one stick of butter. Slowly add 2/3 c. milk and mix with hands. Divide into two balls, flatten on cookie sheet, and cut into pie-like pieces. Bake for 12 minutes at 425 degrees.

4 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

I love giving jar gifts! They seem so thoughtful and are still homemade, but I also love the fact that they can be used whenever it is convenient for the recipient!

Since I don't have a toaster oven, I'll have to look for other ways to combine baking and cut down on the oven use! :)

Susan said...

Great idea Carrie. Very homy and a gift everyone can use. Since living in Germany we have a tiny kitchen;( However, like the Germans, we recycle EVERYTHING. Germany is very green. Putting recycling in the wrong color bin can result in a fine. I hope that makes up for the toaster oven and flying to and from the US.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Great idea...will try that soon.
Connie
www.homesteadblogger.com/schatzila

jgnichols said...

My Mom and I make saving energy into a contest. Our latest is to see who can go the longest without turning on the air-conditioning. So far, so good, although I must confess we both turned it on once for a few hours on Father's Day. We called a temporary moratorium on the contest in honor of our men who just wanted to take a Father's Day nap in the coolness of canned air! LOL. Anyway, we've found that it's easier to stick to something like this if you have someone to egg, I mean encourage, you on.