Saturday, May 5, 2007

Thoughts on decluttering

Yesterday while talking with my sister, she mentioned a particular set of items she had been given that she didn't like but felt guilty keeping. When she asked what I thought she should do, I was ready with a reply. In last month's Real Simple, there was an interesting article about this very thing: "Declutter Your Mind and Think Clearly" by Gail Blanke.

An excerpt, which very much applied in my sister's situation:

“If you don’t know what to do with it, or where to put it, or why you ever bought it in the first place, or if looking at it depresses you, throw it out,” she’d say. “Never keep anything that makes you feel heavy or weighs you down.”

I shared this with my sister, and while we were still on the phone, she began sorting through the aforementioned items with the intention of passing them on to Goodwill as soon as possible.

We all have stuff like this, don't we?! Good job, M, for doing something about it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carrie. This is Aunt Mary. I've never left a comment on someone's blogspot, because I'm an aging Baby Boomer, and we're not as into this blog stuff as your generation is. Anyway, thanks for sharing your neat blogspot. I especially appreciated the entry on clutter. Could I hire you and Monica to come de-clutter my apartment--ha? Like you have nothing else to do. Anyway, your blogspot looks great. I'm gonna get the book on de-cluttering!

thehomespunheart said...

Thank you! Mentioned items are already at the thrift store - GONE! And, my closet - feels huge! :)

Tracy said...

Welcome to blogworld, Carrie! I stopped by from Monica's and will definately return!

Mary Ann said...

I recently got rid of a lot of my scrap booking stuff because of the tremendous guilt I felt every time I thought about it.I don't really like to scrap book and so I wouldn't ever get it out and that made me feel guilty. I feel so much better now!

Love your blog! I came over from Monica's!

Kara said...

Hi Carrie,
I'm leaving a comment because I love comments when I blog. Can I just tell you that I also read the same Real Simple article (surprise, surprise you did spur on my love for that magazine)and was prompted to clean out my closet and donate clothes to the Goodwill. Just as I gathered a large pile of things I hadn't worn in a year, Lance asked me why I was giving things away. I live with a packrat who doesn't see sense in getting rid of anything. Ever. I was irritated. I tried to get him to go through his things, but Lance vetoed. So this weekend when he's working, I'm going to "help" him weed out a few things. What he doesn't realize is gone, he will never miss.