Saturday, May 5, 2007

Wholesome bread

The More-with-Less Cookbook rocks! The subtitle reads "suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources"--in addition to nutritious and low-cost recipes, this book is a manual on thinking about food more globally.

I will occasionally share recipes and tips from this wonderful handbook.

I made this oatmeal bread the other day. Though it indicates a yield of two loaves, I was able to also make a few mini-loaves on top of that--great for sharing!

Combine in large bowl:
1 c. quick oats
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. salt
2 T. margarine

Pour 2 c. boiling water over mixture, and stir to combine.

Dissolve 1 package dry yeast in 1/2 c. warm water.
When batter is cooled to lukewarm, add yeast.

Stir in 5 c. white flour.

When dough is stiff enough to handle, turn onto floured board and knead for 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rise again. Shape into 2 loaves (see my note above) and place in greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Cool on rack, brushing loaves with margarine for a soft crust.

10 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

I'm excited to try this!

Anonymous said...

I think the More With Less cookbook rocks, too! As I'm sure you know, it has long been one of my favorites -- in fact, I used it just this morning. :) The tattered condition of my copy shows that it has been used often!

I haven't tried the oatmeal bread you mention -- I'll make it a point to do that!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

My family loves that bread, too! I found your blog via your sister's blog.

Michelle in GA

Anonymous said...

I have this recipe! GREAT!
I miss you!
RT

Anonymous said...

I grew up with More With Less and as an engagement gift my mother gave me my own copy (now well used). My favorite bread recipe of all time is the mentioned oatmeal recipe!!!!!
I just found your blog... love it!
Heather
www.homesteadblogger.com/borncountry

Jammy said...

YUMMY and simple, too. Can't beat that! =)

Jenn

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused with the directions. Do you do the second rise in the pans? Do you let them rise in the pans or but directly in the oven? Also, after adding the flour it was extremely sticky, I had to add quite a bit more flour so that it was workable. Hope it turns out!

carrie said...

So glad people are enjoying the bread!

Anonymous, I let the dough rise (both times) in a bowl and cover it.

I haven't had a problem with it being overly sticky--I wonder if a difference in climate could be the cause? I hope it turns out, too!

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

Thank you for sharing this bread recipe. I made it this week and my husband and I love it!

I own the cookbook Simply in Season but More With Less will be my next purchase. Thanks again!

Andrea L.

Megan Crow said...

I love the More With Less Cookbook! I just found it at the library and was intrigued mainly because I grew up Mennonite.

Then I talked to my mom and she already had it! I've had it from the library for about 4 months now! I just keep renewing it:) It'll be on my christmas list this year.