Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Prayer jar


As a baby shower gift, my friend Rebecca gave me a sugar bowl filled with verses and quotes about motherhood. After I finished reading all the quotes, I decided to re-purpose the sugar bowl into a prayer jar. I cut out 20 or so slips of patterned paper, and wrote the name of an individual or family on the white side of each piece.

Every morning, I draw a slip from the jar and spend time praying for that person/family. It's always a fun surprise to see whose name I get and it helps me know I'm praying for our loved ones more regularly than I might otherwise. I put all "used" names in a paper clip next to the jar, and when the bowl is emptied, I shuffle the pieces and start over with a full jar.

Prayer works for me, of course, but so does this method of being intentional about it! Check out Rocks in My Dryer for other great ideas!

7 comments:

Ribbon Rock Star said...

This is a wonderful idea!
Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Mary Ann said...

I really like this idea! This would be a great breakfast prayer time idea for my husband and I. And cute and decorative, too!Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! It's easy for me to fall into the habit of praying for those who have "bigger" prayer requests even though I should be praying for all my loved ones regularly - regardless of whether they seem to "need" prayer at the time. Thanks for the great reminder and a way to remedy my habit! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie, I forgot to sign my name on the previous post. It's Kendra! :)

Jenny said...

What a great idea! I have just the pottery jar for this. I was looking at it yesterday wondering what to do with it, now I know. :)

A, B & C said...

I thought I'd come say hi after you left such a nice comment for me last week.

I love this idea and it's something that I definitely need to start myself. I have so many people that I want to regularly pray for and I get busy and forget until I go to bed, and then I'm tired!

By the way, it is so crazy that we have the same birthday, children almost the same age, and both have lived (or live) in Paris... what a small world!

Jennie said...

Great Idea! I hope you add your motherhood quotes to a scrapbook page when you made your pray jar.