Sunday, June 24, 2007

"Going green": Santa Fe Enchiladas

The other night for dinner here in Colorado, my mom fixed one of our favorites, an original dish she created called Santa Fe Enchiladas. The recipe was inspired by a meal she and my dad had on an anniversary trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico. These enchiladas are so yummy that I had to share--I love Mexican food, and I'm always up for a dish that requires only five ingredients!

My husband and I don't even use utensils when we have this--we serve it up with tortilla chips--delish!

Santa Fe Enchiladas

1 can green enchilada sauce (numerous brands are available--my mom prefers Hatch; in Iowa, we purchase Old El Paso or Las Palmas)
1 can black beans
2 c. cooked, chopped chicken
a dozen corn tortillas
1 1/2-2 c. shredded cheddar or colby jack

Preheat oven to 375. In a greased 9x13 pan, pour and spread some of the sauce in the bottom. Layer several tortillas across sauce. Cover tortillas with a scoop of beans and half the chicken and cheese. Then pour on the rest of the sauce and repeat layers: tortillas, beans, chicken, cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds YUMMY...might have to make it soon! Thanks for sharing the recipe and have fun in CO!

Anonymous said...

Oh I always forget to include my name...silly Lisa :)

Susan said...

Yum, I love making enchiladas with El Paso's green sauce. Mexican is also my favorite. Sadly, no REAL mexican restaurants here and no El Paso sauce anywhere. I suppose I will have to do it from scratch somehow. Enjoy! yum,
Susan