Monday, June 18, 2007

Homemaking inspiration

Last week I went to the library to check out The Complete Tightwad Gazette, as Meredith recommended their strategy for kids' clothing storage. On the same shelf, my eye caught the title Confessions of an Organized Homemaker by Deniece Schofield (a fellow Iowan!). Being my mother's daughter, I promptly brought both books home to an already tall stack of things I want to read.

I read most of Organized Homemaker over the weekend--it is full of great ideas! In a section called "Wars with Drawers" (referring to the kitchen), I came across the following question: "Have you ever tried to shut a drawer that was so full you had to nestle everything together so the drawer would close?" Rather than guiltily slink down in my chair, I instantly jumped up and ran to the drawer where this always happens! At the author's suggestion, I quickly removed all the items I don't use on a regular basis (apple corer, extra veggie peeler and space-consuming funnels) and I moved them to the back of a more spacious drawer. Such a simple change, but I was excited. Problem solved! Also in the kitchen section, Schofield has lots of great tips on storing spices, another of my clutter problems. Wahoo!

This is a fun and practical book--if you don't already have ten books in your pile, Organized Homemaker is one to check out!

7 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

Carrie ~

These sound like great books! Right up my alley, too! I love making simple changes. Glad you were able to implement at least one idea right away!

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I've read both of these books more than once -- they are both full of practical suggestions that I found helpful!

And yes, it is amazing that you and Monica both mentioned apple corers in your blogs today!

Love you, Mom

Megan said...

I love Confessions of an Organized Homemaker. I read it cover to cover about 6 years ago, but could use a refresher for sure!

Tracy said...

I love "take action" books! I have a copy of The Messies Manual by Sandra Felton and I love it! I'm almost done with it and I may start from the beginning at read it again!

Ewokgirl said...

Thanks for the review of the homemaking book! I'll definitely be looking to see if my library has it!

A, B & C said...

I love "Confessions". I own it and check in once in a while to see what I can do to make my life easier. My favorite tip is putting things at the "point of first use". I admit I actually have scissors and tape in 3 places. But with refillable tape and never having to buy scissors when I "lose" my only pair, it's a bargain!

thehomespunheart said...

I'd heard Megan mention this book and may have read parts of it! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and like Leah said, great that you were able to implement something right away!

Who knew apple corers were THE words to mention on Monday, June 18th?! I used to have one but got rid of it because I NEVER used it!