Saturday, June 9, 2007

Le jardin

I was recently asked to share about our garden. I would feel like an imposter attempting to give advice, as my husband is by far the main gardener in our household. But I can tell about what we've planted and how it's going, and I'll certainly post recipes using our fresh produce as its harvested.

This year we planted onions (white, yellow and red), potatoes, romaine lettuce, spinach, green beans, green and red peppers, and tomatoes. We're also trying again to grow pumpkins. Last year a friend told us that "any idiot" can grow pumpkins. Well, we must be idiots, because nothing came!

We planted in late April and early May--using starter plants for the peppers and tomatoes and the rest started from seed. We have had lots of fresh romaine and spinach already, and both have been tasty and mild (but flavorful) compared to last year's bitter mesclun mix.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie,

I just came in from planting more in our garden -- which is WAY behind yours! I think we'll have some lettuce ready by the time you are here. :)

I am interested in your garden updates -- it's looking good! :)

Love, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Hi Carrie -

I had pumpkins a couple of years ago and must be an idiot too because mine came up and bloomed but did nothing else.

In researching some of my own garden questions, I learned this info which applies to pumpkins also and may be helpful.

Squash (cucumbers and melons included) plants produce male and female flowers. The female flowers are on shorter stems and have a bulb at the bottom of the flower. Male flowers are on longer stems and do not have the bulb at the bottom.

A female flower MUST be pollenated by a male flower to produce the desired fruit or vegetable. Multiple sources listed that when you get a male flower, you can cut it off and rub it on the female flowers to pollenate them. Or you can use a q-tip to transfer the pollen.

They also listed that plants get lots of female flowers in the beginning, but as the plant grows, it produces more of both flowers and the likelihood of proper pollenation increases.

Hope this helps! Your garden looks great!

carrie said...

Monica,

Thanks for the tips on pumpkins--we'll hope for better success this year!

Anonymous said...

Great looking garden!! Is it behind the house or to the side? I have a patio garden growing (in containers) with red and green peppers, cucumbers, lemon cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, and soon a small herb garden...gotta get on that last one this week so I have time to make pesto later this summer!

btw...hope you had fun with your day at ACSD! Did you take a picture of you, nathan, erin, and mandy? Would love to see it :) I'm still so bummed I had to miss the conference, mainly bummed about missing all the nwc friends there :(

Anonymous said...

oops, forgot to include my name!

have a great day! lisa

Kara said...

Hi, hi!
Thanks for doing a garden update. I appreciate it as this is my new shiny penny project! (shiny penny projects are the ones that are new and my current interest. Past shiny penny projects have been closet organization, placemat purses, glass etching, etc.)

I'm waiting on the first fruits of my garden. Stay tuned!