Saturday, June 16, 2007

Make your own mix: fajita seasoning

I'm interested in trying various homemade mixes (no/less preservatives and packaging, cheaper in some cases, and I'm just plain curious) so I plan to test one every so often and will review it here.

One of our favorite meals is fajitas, and though the seasoning mix is not expensive, I wondered about making my own. After an on-line search, I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. It does call for 11 ingredients (whew!), but we had everything on hand except the chili powder, which I omitted. The nice thing is that the recipe makes enough for 3 batches, and the instructions for making the fajitas are exactly what is printed on the back of the store-bought packages.

During last night's supper, I told my husband that the fajitas were made with a homemade seasoning mix. He said they were delicious, and even some of the best he's ever had, so I guess it's a keeper! I was a little more mixed (no pun intended). A few bites didn't seem very flavorful, and then I'd get a bit of a zinger. Overall, though, I think we liked it enough to stick with it.

6 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

Good idea! I've only ever made fajitas once, but I've tried making other mixes. I had really good luck with homemade cream of chicken soup mix, but it's been years since I've made that again.

Last week I bought small bottles of essential oils - grapefruit, sweet orange and eucalyptus - (which I found WAY cheaper in my food co-op afterwards) and put some in my soap pumper along with my liquid soap/water mixture. Smells yummy, and like I made it myself! I'm going to put some of the eucalyptus oil in my bottle of spray cleaner. I'm a sniffing junkie. That sounds bad, huh? I just love smells!! Well, good smells! =)

Anonymous said...

Carrie, this is a good idea -- fajita seasoning that comes in a jar is EXPENSIVE! (I have a recipe that calls for 1 tablespoon of fajita seasoning -- I've just used a combination of some other spices.)

Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Any guesses on how much it would cost to make this mix - the envelopes are 0.33 each. And, I don't have on hand several of the ingredients. Just curious... good job on trying this out!

carrie said...

Monica!

I totally thought I had already responded to you--sorry. The packets I buy are 50 cents each, so making a triple batch as I did, would generate more of a savings for me over time. If you don't have several of the ingredients already, I'm not sure that it would be worth it from a financial perspective.

Leah, what a great idea to create your own scented soap!

Stephanie said...

I love DIY seasonings because you can adjust for your own taste. Don't know if you do so already, but buying the spices at a bulk foods store would help with the cost too.

Thank you for joining Make It From Scratch !

Jennifer said...

This is a good recipe, I do have a quicker one and less ingredients if you want to try it. (from Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes www.hungrybrowser.com)

4 T. chili powder
2 T. ground cumin
2 t. ground oregano
2 t. garlic salt (for low sodium, use garlic powder instead)

Stir well and store air tight. Use 2 or 3 T. of mix. I actually sprinkle the meat (we use venison) before I cook it.

A hot cast iron skillet is a must if you want that authentic taste.

Blessings ~ Jennifer