Saturday, June 30, 2007

One of the reasons I love living in a small town

This morning, in just under an hour, I completed the following:
  • Dropped off the utility bill to save a stamp
  • Mailed a package and several letters at the post office
  • Returned a book, renewed another, and selected a free weekend movie from the library
  • Cashed a check at the bank
  • Bought some potatoes at the farmer's market
  • Took my son to the park to play on the swings

Since I walked and pushed the stroller, I also got a workout, and we had the added benefit of fresh air before the day gets too hot. I call that a productive hour!

I know this isn't possible where most people live; our house is a ten-minute walk from our downtown area, and the businesses I frequent are pretty close together. For the most part, I enjoy running errands here, especially in warmer weather when we can leave the car at home. The flip side of this is that bigger stores with more competitive pricing and variety are a longer drive. As a result, we've learned to "stockpile" errands so that we can make the most of a trip to a larger town.

Is anyone else able to walk for some of your errands, instead of driving? If you can swing it, it's such a great way to save gas and get some exercise!

7 comments:

starryfish said...

I dream of someday living in a small town like you. Although my family and I don't live in the city, we are not withing comfortable walking distance to anything. Oh well...one day! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I'm happy to be visiting you here on yours! On with my reading!

justabeachkat said...

Hi Carrie

Nice to meet you! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment. You're always welcome.

I've enjoyed my visit here to your blog. I did go take a look at your "100 things" and enjoyed it very much. Aren't they fun? I also enjoyed your post about your family heritage dinner. What a sweet idea for a family to do together. I can see where you would enjoy living in a small town.

Hugs!
Kat

Amy Jane said...

I used to do walks several times a week, just to post a letter, buy some fruit or return a movie.

I had two babies then-- one I pushed in the stroller and one I wore.

Now with three I just get tired thinking about it, though I have twice made the long walk to the feed store with the wagon, kids and dog.

It takes a great deal of will and energy to yank it all together and get out those first five blocks.

Jill@Who Could Ask for Anything More said...

nope- can't do this where I live now. I'd be taking my life into my own hands to walk to do errands. But, in the small Iowa town I grew up in, it was a way of life. I, too, lived 10 min. from our downtown and we always walked to the store, library, post office, and even to school!

Jody said...

I can't walk to do much except the park but I can load the girls into the bike trailer and we can go to the splash park, the post office, a couple of grocery stores (if we only need a few things)...

I'm just dreaming of the day when our beaurocrats get off their "the federal government has to give us money" whining and build a light rail system. I would love to have only one car.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Carrie -- I agree that was a productive hour! I would love to be able to do more of that. Right now, it is most practical in the downtown area near my office (library, bank, etc.) during my lunch hour.

I love your small town! :)

Love you, Mom

Leah in Iowa said...

Small towns definitely DO have some advantages, don't they! I'm glad you get to enjoy them!