- Dropped off the utility bill to save a stamp
- Mailed a package and several letters at the post office
- Returned a book, renewed another, and selected a free weekend movie from the library
- Cashed a check at the bank
- Bought some potatoes at the farmer's market
- Took my son to the park to play on the swings
Since I walked and pushed the stroller, I also got a workout, and we had the added benefit of fresh air before the day gets too hot. I call that a productive hour!
I know this isn't possible where most people live; our house is a ten-minute walk from our downtown area, and the businesses I frequent are pretty close together. For the most part, I enjoy running errands here, especially in warmer weather when we can leave the car at home. The flip side of this is that bigger stores with more competitive pricing and variety are a longer drive. As a result, we've learned to "stockpile" errands so that we can make the most of a trip to a larger town.
Is anyone else able to walk for some of your errands, instead of driving? If you can swing it, it's such a great way to save gas and get some exercise!