Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Vintage Works for Me Wednesday: Gift card organization

Note: This week for WFMW we're supposed to recycle a vintage post. This one was a favorite of mine that I originally posted last June. Here are some other posts that have been popular via Google searches: kids' clothing inventory, prayer jar, making panini sandwiches, and teething tips.

Between gifts and returns, we seem to have accrued quite a quantity and variety of gift cards, and I needed a way to keep them all organized.

Here's what I do:

1. On each gift card, if it doesn't indicate an amount already, I write down the value with a Sharpie. I update the amount accordingly when we redeem just a portion of a card.

2. I keep all gift cards in my purse--this eliminates losing them or accidentally leaving them at home. If we happen to have more than one card for a particular store, I keep them together with a rubber band. I bought a little mesh bag from Target (in the office supplies section) to neatly contain the cards.

3. I maintain a little gift card "cheat sheet" on an index card so I can see at a glance the stores and restaurants we have cards for, and the amount we have to spend. This is nice when planning errands, especially since we live 45 minutes from the nearest mall.

Organizing the little things works for me! Head to Rocks in My Dryer for other great vintage ideas!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Great idea! We have three birthdays within two weeks of Christmas so by mid January we always seem to have numerous gift cards. I've often been frustrated when I've left the card I intended to use at home or worse, went through the checkout of a store only to realize I did have a card I could have used. Your tip is very much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

I think it's great that you have so many gift cards that they need to be organized!

Happy shopping!

Love, Mom

Katie said...

Genius!! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Family O'Foxes said...

I do the same thing! :) Right the amount on the card with a Sharpie and adjust the amount if I use only a portion of the card. :)

We can end up with a lot of gift cards if I buy them as "scrip" from my friends child's school. It is a fundraiser. Then I just spend them like they are cash at a grocery store. Helps the school and then I don't have to worry about carrying cash with me. :)

~Amy

mer said...

I don't know how I missed this post yesterday!

I also write the amount left on the card on the back... and keep them in my purse so I always have them with me, but I really like the cheat sheet idea!