Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Halving fabric softener sheets

I read about this last year in a magazine article on saving money around the house and figured it was worth a try. When I purchase a new box of Bounce sheets, I get out the scissors and cut them in half. It doesn't take long (It's a good movie-watching project), and I love that our supply lasts twice as long. We haven't had any static cling issues since starting this, so I guess it's working for me!

My mom's alternative solution is to use sheets more than once (two at a time the second go-round); she stores them in a wide-mouth vase in a cabinet above the dryer.

For other uses for fabric softener sheets, click here and scroll to the 5th frame.

Check out Rocks in My Dryer for lots of great ideas!

6 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

Great idea! I'm like your mom - I use mine over and over again, until they're limp as a dishrag and have no smell left. Either that, or until they're clinging to clothes. Then I know they're officially done! =)

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - In CO, I used to cut mine in half or even fourths and it worked great. But, I tried halving them here and had static issues. I am able to use them at least twice though! I like stretching them out a little!

Sarah said...

I do this too! Only I don't take the time to cut them in half. (A little lazy I guess) Each time I reach for a new one I just rip it donw the middle and put the other half back in the box.

Jill@Who Could Ask for Anything More said...

A great idea. I use two sheets so I guess I could start by cutting down to just one, then go for the half.

Org Junkie said...

Great suggestion!

Thanks so much for stopping by my site :)

Laura

Sarah B. B. said...

(Just found your great blog from the Sweet Goodness Swap links, by the way.) My mom is a dryer sheet nut, so I've learned that you can use a dryer sheet about three or four times, then re-use it either as a speedy quick dustcloth or to rub down your shower. Somehow that magically makes it more resistant to soap scum. (: