Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A colorful pair

The colorful pair I'm referring to is Roma tomatoes and red onions--I just love that combination! With our garden in full swing, here are a few recipes that take advantage of our backyard produce, highlighting this lovely pair.

Orzo salad

The original recipe for this salad can be found here, but I am posting my adapted version. I had never tried orzo (a small Italian pasta) until last year, but I loved this salad--it's a fresh accompaniment to a summer meal! And it tastes even better right now because I made it with red onion and Roma tomatoes from our garden.

4 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. orzo
1/3 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. diced Roma tomato
1/4 c. diced red onion
1 tsp. dried basil
salt and pepper
red wine vinaigrette (recipe below)

Bring broth to a boil in a covered saucepan. Cook for 8-9 minutes until orzo is tender. Drain and cool. Toss the orzo with remaining ingredients.

red wine vinaigrette:

1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/8 c. lemon juice
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. salt
dash black pepper
1/2 c. olive oil

Mix ingredients well using a whisk or blender.

Guacamole

I am pretty casual when it comes to food. I also like to eat healthy meals (now dessert and snacks, mind you, are altogether different), and though I love some dairy products like cheese, yogurt, and of course ice cream, I never eat any sour cream, cream cheese, etc. So with that in mind, most would find that my method of making guacamole is a minimalist approach. If you love sour cream, you may want to stick with your current recipe!

1 ripe avocado
1/2 large Roma tomato, diced
1 T. red onion, diced
splash of lime juice
dash of hot sauce

I scoop the avocado out with a spoon, which I then use to mash it. Then I stir in the remaining ingredients and scarf if down with a handful of tortilla chips. Simple and yummy! Even better because avocados and tomatoes are a true "super-food" combo!

Bruschetta

This is one of my favorite quick summer lunches--I had it 3 days in a row last week. See note above on minimalist approach.

3-4 slices French or Italian bread
1 Roma tomato, diced
1/8 c. red onion, diced
olive oil
basil to taste

I usually brush a little olive oil on each slice of bread and toast lightly. Then I mix the tomato, red onion, basil to taste, and about a teaspoon of olive oil. I spoon a generous portion of the mixture onto the slices of bread and return to the toaster.

If you have any other recipes combining this colorful pair, I'd love to see them!

7 comments:

Susan said...

Carrie, these recipes sound yummy, thanks for sharing.

thehomespunheart said...

What great ideas for using the fresh produce from your garden! :)

mer said...

YUM! And YUM again! Your guac recipe looks delicious...I'm always looking for new ways to make it, and I'm a purist too. No sour cream for me!

Glad we found each other's blogs!

Meredith

Mary Ann said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing these. I love orzo and usually make an Italian chicken casserole/salad with it(It can be eaten hot or cold.) We're having bruschetta tonight for dinner!

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about bruschetta recently and am now inspired to make it! :)
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try the orzo recipe. I love using summer tomatoes and think this will be a good way to use my mom's when I'm in IOWA next week. I'll be at the state fair on Friday the 10th, Carrie. Also, do you grow your own basil? It's a great addition for summer--I'm loving ours.
Jenny

Amy said...

This sounds so good- I am going to have to make this, Carrie!!