Thursday, July 26, 2007

A different kind of date night

Since our son was born, our date nights have become shamefully irregular. The other day, my husband mentioned he had procured a babysitter for Wednesday evening. I had visions of a movie and ice cream until he explained that he wanted us to volunteer together at the local women's shelter. I have to be honest, ladies. I was wishing for the theatre and dessert outing I'd pictured.

Nonetheless, we headed to the shelter last night, me with my less-than-positive attitude. But from the moment we arrived, and the director gave us a tour of the place, I got really excited. It is a place of hope and transformation. The director gave us some little odd jobs, and then asked if I would be willing to bake some cookies. Opening the refrigerators, she pointed to two huge 20-gallon buckets of dough. The center is having an open house tonight, and they wanted to serve fresh-baked cookies.

I got to work right away, and the time just flew by. While the cookies were in the oven, I chatted with other volunteers and put my amateur organizing skills to work. One small drawer held over 40 baking tools (multiple whisks, spatulas, etc.), so I was able to implement a more user-friendly solution.

Although I made dozens and dozens of cookies, I had only made a dent after two hours. I was determined to finish my baking assignment--so when it was time for us to leave, I scooped all that remaining dough into containers and lugged it home.

My oven will be in full force today, as I bake more cookies--with joy all day long, I hope. I am thankful my husband would consider volunteering to be a worthy date night activity. And I'm thankful God uses us, even with less-than-stellar attitudes.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Colossians 3:23

"God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7b

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie -- I loved your post today -- how wonderful that you and Eric can find joy in volunteering on your date night! The joy of giving comes through what you have written -- I'm proud of you both!

Love, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

This is a great post, Carrie!

Our date nights are so few that I'd be less than excited initially as well. However, I do love to help others and I know that I would come around.

I bet your house smells very yummy today! :)

Wish I could pop over for a warm cookie and a cold glass of milk!

Anonymous said...

How awesome! What great examples you are. I love it when the Lord changes our attitudes about something so simply. Praise the Lord!

Andrea L.

myheartisalwayshome said...

I loved your post! Funny how some things we are less then thrilled about doing turn out to be so great.

What an example you are setting for your son!

On Fire For Him said...

That is really cool. Very sweet!

Leah in Iowa said...

Oh, Carrie ~ praise the Lord for your change of attitude! I'm so happy that it turned out to be such a positive experience for you. And not just for a few hours on "date night", but all day today as well! I'm sure the Lord is rewarding you by sending RAIN! =) You ARE getting some tonight, aren't you??

Sonya said...

What a wonderful idea! Kudos to your hubby for thinking of it! I think it's great that you cheerfully baked cookies for the shelter and I'm sure the people who run the place were very thankful!