Monday, July 16, 2007

Lessons in graciousness

Upon returning home from our trip to Michigan last night, we immediately began unpacking our bags. While putting things away in the kitchen, I quickly noticed the refrigerator door was standing open a few inches. Hoping my husband had just grabbed a drink, I opened the door wider to see (and smell) that everything was warm. A partially-used stick of butter had dripped yellow goo all over the shelves, and there was a strong stench from fermented juice. At the end of a long day of travel, it was particularly upsetting to come home to this.

A well-meaning friend had set something in our fridge more than a week prior. If you've been reading my blog, you know how much I hate when anything is wasted. Though I of course appreciated the friend's intended gesture, I was really annoyed about having to throw everything away. I was especially bummed to pitch a large supply of cheese and a newly-opened jar of yeast. My husband graciously began to clean out the fridge--taking the spoilage to the trash and wiping up the mess.

After mourning the loss of our condiments, I had to put things in perspective. It could've also been the freezer. The fridge could've been more fully stocked. No one was harmed, etc. I had to acknowledge (internally, if nothing else) that I could just have easily been the one to leave the door hanging open. I realized I need to be gracious to my friend by not saying anything and basically by "getting over it."

The real graciousness happened today when some friends who are moving out of state stopped by with a bag of stuff they needed to clear from their fridge. Inside were many of the items we had just thrown out, plus some bonuses. Italian pesto? Wahoo! The bag also included two kinds of cheese, and wouldn't you know it? Almost a full jar of yeast.

I am amazed at the ways God provides for His children, and thankful that He is the ultimate example of graciousness to us. I just love stories like this and wanted to share mine with you.

9 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

I'm sorry that happened to you, but what a neat God-story it turned out to be! Yay, God!! He does love to bless us, doesn't he? Imagine if your friends had dropped off their remaining food somewhere else? I think it's awesome! =)

A, B & C said...

That's such an uplifting story! It's so true and such a lesson to see so much in life come full circle. We're glad to have you back from your trip!

Susan said...

I love the story. Glad you had a great time!

Frances said...

God provides! And sometimes it takes a sorrowful emptying of our hands in order for God to place something wonderful in them. I can totally relate to your suffering over the loss, Carrie...and I pray that God will help me to be just as grateful for graciousness as you are. Thank you for sharing!

Tracy said...

I was sick to my stomach through the whole story... until the end! How wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Carrie!

thehomespunheart said...

What a cool story, Carrie! It is hard that it happened, and like Tracy - I loved the ending! So glad it all worked out!

Anonymous said...

I love stories like this, too! What a vivid reminder that God is indeed our Provider!

Love you, Mom

Kara said...

Carrie - I made my own pesto on Friday. It was so much fun! Although Lance did squirm about having to eat funny green stuff.

Jill@Who Could Ask for Anything More said...

So very true and a good reminder for me.