Monday, July 2, 2007

More ideas for going green

I recently came across an article about "green parenting" on Baby Center. After reading through the 20 ideas in the article, I am inspired to make greater strides in being environmentally friendly by doing the following:
  • Unplugging unused or chronically charged appliances (like our handheld vacuum)--I'm really terrible about this, and need to make more of an effort, especially when we leave on trips.
  • Putting a brick or plastic milk jug filled with pebbles in the toilet tank to save water (and money) with each flush.
  • Actually remembering to bring cloth or used plastic bags with me to the store so I won't need new ones. I usually have good intentions, but often forget. Another option I'm interested in is these that I saw featured here.

My goal is to begin practicing these ideas from today on. If you read through the article, I'd love to know which of these ideas you're already implementing in your home, and what you'd like to challenge yourself with.

4 comments:

Jody said...

I keep meaning to buy cloth totes for groceries- I really hate plastic bags, they multiply and it seems like people think that more is better.

We use energy efficient lighting, have our thermostat turned up in the summer & down in the winter and use ceiling fans, make sure to turn off and unplg when we're gone for a long period.

Doug would love to put up a wind generator or install solar panel shingles. I'm sure our neighbors would veto the windmill but maybe we can afford the shingles in a couple of years.

Susan said...

Well, the Germans have an awesome "green system". From the way the toilets are made to no plastic shoppings bags and recycling. I do not know why the US does not switch to the Europeans toilets, especially in Colorado, Arizona and CA where water is an issue. The flusher controls how much water goes down the toilet. It is hard to explain, but it uses 1/4 as much water as the US toilets.

Shopping, I was shocked at first on my first big grocery shopping excursion. At our local grocery store after our grocery items scanned by the checker, we put it right back into the cart with no bags or anything! I looked at my German husband like what are you doing?? They have these fold up plastic crates in their cars where they put their groceries or the cloth bags. Plus you put a Euro into the cart to use the cart. When you return the cart, you get your Euro back. There are no shopping carts sitting around the parking lot, and you don't waste Employees to get get them either.

Some of the systems really are efficient.
- Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carrie -- finally had a few minutes to read this list -- several things mentioned we've done for years (garden, clean dryer lint after every load, and recycle -- I was shocked that 69% of people still don't recycle. We've had friends make fun of us for doing it, but I'm committed!). I tried the jug in the toilet tank, but had less than ideal results and Dad didn't like the idea -- so we quit doing that. The latest habits I'm trying to cultivate are unplugging appliances such as the computer when not in use and buy more organically-grown foods. Maybe when I retire, I'll have more time for using my "voice" to influence government leaders.

Thanks for the link -- and keep up the green work! :)

Love you, Mom

PS: I was interested to read Susan's post about how things are done in Germany -- sound like some good ideas!

thehomespunheart said...

I do the cloth totes bag thing. I keep them in a box in the trunk and take them in when I do my grocery shopping. Then, when I have put the groceries away they go back in the car for the next time. Yes, there are times I forget. But, I figure even if I remember half the time - that is better than using ALL those plastic bags. I like the cloth bags too because they can be tossed in the wash if they get dirty!