Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Traveling prayer

Several years ago, my mom came across the following prayer for travelers. (It's credited to St. David's Episcopal Church in Baltimore, Maryland.)

I keep a well-worn copy in my car and pray it aloud before embarking on every trip. It has been a source of great comfort and peace, so I wanted to share it with you, especially during this season:

I know, O God, that wherever I travel, You will be with me. There is nowhere I can go, no situation I can face, which is outside Your love and strength; and so I commit myself into Your care and keeping on this journey, knowing that at all times I am in Your hands.

7 comments:

Susan said...

I really like that.

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie,

We have certainly faced some travel situations that tested us, haven't we?? I'm glad that you continue to use this prayer for your travels. :)

Love, Mom

Leah in Iowa said...

What a cool prayer! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

thehomespunheart said...

After our car accident, we could not find ours for the longest time. And, we missed it! David would say - where is the prayer? Mom recently sent me a new copy so we can continue the tradition again! Great idea to post this!

Marie said...

I googled travel prayer and was lead to your blog! th

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Gazpacho said...

My mom put a copy of the Traveling Prayer in my first car. I was 18 yo. She laminated it but the sun and age took its toll on the paper. It is 25 years old, so I am printing a new one! Best wishes on all your travels.