Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Baking tips from our house to yours

You may want to print this out and keep a copy in your favorite cookbook:
  • Next time you make a quick bread, take poppy seed for example, I suggest that you not omit the baking powder (whether intentionally or not)--the bread will not rise or bake properly. (Think dense and doughy--yikes!)
  • On a similar note, I recommend that you not accidentally triple the amount of baking soda--it will cause the unsuspecting guests to choke on their banana bread. It is important to point out that a teaspoon and a tablespoon are not equal.
  • Lastly, it's always a good idea to make sure you check and double-check that 1) nothing is in the oven before you preheat it, and 2) that you actually turn the dial from preheat to bake after sliding that delicious cake into the oven.

Anyone else have some profound baking tips to share?!

While you're thinking of making things from scratch, head on over here for inspiration.

6 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Hee hee - very cute!

Anonymous said...

Do these tips come from personal experience?? :)

Your last tip about checking to see that nothing is in the oven before heating it reminds me of something that happened when I was a little girl -- I loved playing house and couldn't wait to use a "real" kitchen. One time I put some of my play dishes (plastic) in my mom's oven. I must have gotten distracted and went off and left them in there. She did not follow your tip to check the oven before heating and ended up with melted plastic dishes in her oven -- it didn't smell very good and she wasn't very happy!

Ah, live and learn!

Love you, Mom

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Funny! I wonder how you found these great tips?! lol

Ewokgirl said...

Yep, I can totally relate. I made waffles once with eggnog because I was out of milk. They had a really weird texture, which I blamed on the eggnog. Later, however, I realized that I'd forgotten to add the required 4 teaspoons of baking powder.

Also, to add to your list, make sure your baking soda does not clump. To bite into a sweet with a clump of salty baking soda in it is a gag-inducing endevour.

Angela said...

Never put cold water on a hot glass baking dish...it most certainly will shatter. :)

Lisa said...

i remember a certain banana bread :)