Sunday, August 26, 2007

Make your own mix: cream soup

I'm interested in trying various homemade mixes (no/less preservatives and packaging, cheaper in some cases, and I'm just plain curious) so I plan to test one every so often and will review it here. The first review was on fajita seasoning mix. Here is the second:

We are unapologetically casserole people. Throw a bunch of ingredients together for a one-dish meal? Love it. But I don't always love buying those gloppy cans of cream of celery soup. When my sister sent me the following recipe, I thought it was worth a try. I don't use it every time a recipe calls for cream soup, but it has been wonderful to have on hand, and it's healthier than the full-fat canned versions. I have been surprised that I haven't noticed a difference in taste or testure, but I guess in a casserole it can be hard to tell!

cream soup mix

2 c. powdered milk
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. chicken bouillion
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. onion flakes
1 t. basil
1 t. thyme

Mix in airtight container--makes equivalent of 9 cans of soup.

To use: Combine 1/3 c. of mix with 1 1/4 c. cold water. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring until thickened.

15 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

I bought a can of crm of chicken soup the other day for a new recipe I wanted to try. It was the first can I have bought in YEARS. I'm hoping I can try this once and then substitute this mix in it. Glad you like it too! :)

A, B & C said...

What a great idea! We'll definitely have to try this since it's often hard to find "American" style soups that aren't 5 euros for a can. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I like having this mix on hand, too. I recently used it in a crockpot recipe without precooking (since it was going to cook all day, I figured it didn't need the thickening ahead of time) -- success!
Love you, Mom

April said...

I am so going to try this - it seems I am always buying cream of something soup to mix in for a casserole. Thanks!

mer said...

Thanks for sharing this Carrie. I'm not a fan of the canned cream soups because I don't like put stuff into my body that I can't even pronounce...LOL! Canned soups are in so many of my recipes though, so what a nice alternative you've just offered me. Can't wait to try it!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

We love casseroles also! Since I use lots of crm of chicken soup I really need to give this a try.

Judy said...

That recipe is probably going to be the most used recipe in my house. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Yeah, a can costs 5Euros a can where I am too, that is like $7.50 for a can of soup! I are other creme soup recipes out of the More for Less cookbook. It has helped me out a lot with making stuff from scratch. However, I have a dumb question. What is cornstarch?

Susan said...

Oh man, I didn't proof my comment above! Talk about Bad English grammar! "I are"???

Mary Ann said...

I use a similar recipe and we like it a lot. In certain recipes, I've found it doesn't give quite the same results but for most stuff, we like the homemade version just fine. One less item on my grocery list and healthier too. I keep mine in a large sour cream or cottage cheese container from Sam's Club and just keep filling it as needed. I have the instructions written on the side so it's all there for me.:-)

I like making as much of my own stuff as possible!

Mrs. Elliott said...

What a creative idea! I've never thought of doing something like this before. Thanks for the inspiration, we make casseroles a lot too.

Summer said...

This is a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing!

tegdirb92 said...

that is an awesome idea!! i'm going to try ths!

Stephanie said...

I stopped buying cream soups so I would force myself to try to make my own. The result. . . I haven't made a casserole in quite some time! ;)

I know when the weather gets cooler I will want to go back to casserole eating and then will have to try your recipe. Thanks~!

Shannon said...

I use the same recipe. I never buy cream soups anymore. If you let it sit till cool it will be more the texture of the soups. Also if you want it thicker just add a heaping measure. Depending on the recipe sometimes I need it thicker then others.