Thursday, August 9, 2007

A refreshing summer treat

Earlier this summer, my mom presented me with the little cookbook (a pamphlet, really) from my middle school home economics class. (Is that still a class, and is it still called Home Ec? Just wondering!)

As I flipped through the wrinkled pages, I smiled when I came across the recipe for an Orange Julius. I remember being home by myself one summer afternoon and deciding to make this little concoction. Unfortunately, my experience with the blender was minimal. The parts at the bottom were not attached properly, and when I picked up the blender jar to pour the drink into my glass, the orange liquid oozed all over the place. To make matters worse, whatever method I chose to "clean" the floor was completely inadequate. Understandably, my mom was less than pleased to come home to the sticky kitchen, and for awhile I was only allowed to use the blender under adult supervision!

I recently made another attempt at making an Orange Julius, and this time everything went OK. Here's the recipe--enjoy this easy summer treat!

1 c. milk
1 c. water
2 T. sugar
6 oz. orange juice concentrate
1 t. vanilla
8-12 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients. Make sure all blender pieces are firmly attached. =) Serves 4-6.

11 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Yummy! Cute story to go with it as well!

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud as I read this post -- I had completely forgotten this little "incident." [I do, however, remember one involving the mixer. :)] Love you! Mom

Leah in Iowa said...

This recipe is yummy ~ I can attest to that! Gary is in charge of making these whenever anyone gets hungry for them. Kind of a family tradition. =)

My youngest daughter's name is Julia Suzanne, but we call her Suzanne. Anyway, she thinks these are "her" drink - Orange Julia's!

~ Leah

Ewokgirl said...

I laughed at your little misadventure because I could totally relate. Except that my incident involved an electric mixer and chocolate cake batter. I couldn't remember if you put the beaters in, then turn them on, or turn them on, then put them in. I chose the wrong option, and chocolate cake batter splattered EVERYWHERE.

I was also in a rush to clean it all up before my mom came home. :-)

CrownLaidDown said...

Printing it right now! And adding it to my lunch that's almost ready :)

Thanks for stopping by! Do you miss Colorado? I look forward to reading your posts.

Blessings,
Holly

Liz said...

Yumm....My mouth was watering reading it...on hot day like today I would love a treat!!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Love the story! Chuck has family in Pomeroy. Not much of a town; farm implement store, gas station and church. The major town is Ft Dodge. Are you close by?

Susan said...

Funny story! Mmmmm, I haven't had an Orange Julius in years. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Mrs. U said...

MMmmm!! This sounds YUMMY!! I am definitely going to be trying this recipe!!

His,
Mrs. U

justabeachkat said...

Orange Julius...I haven't thought of them in a long time. Thanks for the recipe. My husband used to love them.

Hugs!
Kat

Leah in Iowa said...

Have you made another Iowa connection with "myheartisalwayshome"? How fun!!