Monday, August 6, 2007

Wardrobe bargains

I had a really fun outing Friday afternoon. My husband had just returned from a 3-day trip and I was thrilled to get out of the house for a couple hours. I headed to a nearby town where a clothing consignment store was having a 75% off clearance. Wahoo!

Because I had just inventoried my son's clothing last week (which I plan to post about on Wednesday), I knew exactly what I did and didn't need in various sizes. I ended up with some great stuff for the little guy, and then checked out the woman's department. Post-maternity clothes have been hit or miss (mostly miss) for me, and I was a little skeptical about finding anything. Nonetheless, I pulled several potential items from the racks. I was excited when a denim skirt and a couple different tops not only fit me, but I actually felt cute in them. (You know what I mean?!) More importantly, the bargain prices were just another factor in their favor, not my overall motivation to purchase them. I have too often purchased items that were good deals, even if I had doubts about the color/fit/style. Ah, buyer's remorse. (I'm sure each of you could share a similar story?)

When I got home, my husband humored me by letting me play "dress up" and show him my new clothes. I also laid everything out and had him guess the total cost. At $1-2 per item, I got some great deals--14 items of clothing for just under $20.

To make the deal even sweeter, Iowa is one of several states that offered tax-free clothing shopping over the weekend! Now it's your turn to humor me--here's the photo of me in my new outfit (total cost: $3.24!) and the rest of my great finds.

8 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

Way to go, Carrie!! Looks like you got a real steal! Feels nice, huh? =)

~ Leah

Mary Ann said...

Good job! I love it when I find nice used things that fit and are items that I would be attracted to even if they were new and higher-priced!

Anonymous said...

Great finds! I especially like the outfit you are modeling! :)

Happy thrifting!

Love, Mom

Roni said...

You are a bargain shopper after my own heart! I haunt thrift stores/consignment shops for bargains galore. All my kids (age 12-26) were raised this way and now follow in my footsteps. Since I only work very PT (my husband and I figured out that it made more sense to stay home and raise our kids, on so many levels) I want to make sure I am a good steward of his income. He works so hard to provide us a home, it's the least I can do. It's wonderful to read about younger women taking up the challenge of being thrifty and making a dollar go as far as it can (until it screams for
mercy :-)

thehomespunheart said...

Yay! Fun finds!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Good job. Cute skirt!

Lisa said...

That outfit is so you :) I found a consignment shop I just LOVE here in Portland, they are so fun to scout out for bargains! I'll have to let you know if I get as good of a deal as you...good job!

Stephanie said...

Great deals! WOW!