Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Kid's clothing inventory

Babies/toddlers fly through clothing sizes so quickly that I wanted a system in place for storing my son's clothes and keeping track of what we have. I initially got the idea to create a clothing inventory from this post, and began making a detailed list in a notebook. When I made the list, however, I just wrote down a description of each item (red long sleeved shirt, cargo khaki pants) without categorizing, so the list was not very practical. I wanted something I could keep in my purse for yard sale and thrift shop finds so I could buy things we actually needed.

I then checked out this book (Thanks for the tip, Meredith) and read about another way to inventory clothes by listing general garment types (pants, shirts, etc.) and putting an X on that line for each item of that type: 3 jackets, 3 X's.

Now I have both systems in place and am loving it so far. I have the more detailed descriptions in my notebook, and then I created a little index card file to keep in my purse. Now I can see at a glance how many shirts and pants I have in each size, and I also made categories for pajamas, winterwear, etc. It takes awhile to create, but is easy to update and has been great for knowing what to look for. That works for me! Check out other great ideas here.

7 comments:

Connie said...

I absolutely love The Tightwad Gazette...I have had it for years...I first bought the three (Tightwad I,II,III)...then gave them to my niece when the final one came out.

Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

Jen M said...

What a great idea! I love lists and love shopping so win-win!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

What a great idea! That would be so helpful to have. Also, thanks for visiting my birth story!

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

With three girls here, I should definitely implement a system like this. I can never remember what I need, and have probably missed some great deals because of it.

Thanks for a good one!

Callista said...

Good idea! Come see my idea for cleaning my toddler's hands and face. http://callistasramblings.blogspot.com/2007/08/works-for-me-wednesday-handface-washing.html

Sandi said...

Thank you for your comment on my WFMW this week.

I absolutely LOVE this idea. I am a big garage saler and I'm also looking for ways to organize my boys' clothes with the constant changes of season and size...if you have any ideas there, pass them along!

Linds said...

I'm here from Monica's post today. I love this, I don't remember if I've read this post before but it is perfect for me right now. We're trying to buy ahead a season or too depending on sales, but it's so hard to keep track of what we have.