Thursday, September 13, 2007

A windfall

We usually receive dozen of apples from some friends who live on a local farm, but this year their harvest is minimal. I've been planning to purchase some from the farmers' market, but the other night I noticed a yard near our house that was laden with wind-fallen apples. The residents are acquaintances of ours from both work and church, so I thought I might as well inquire. I had a very Amy Dacyczyn moment when I e-mailed to ask if I could pick up some of the grounded apples. Not only did the couple say that was fine, but they told me they may have extras to offer once they pick from the tree. I guess it "pays" to ask sometimes!

I'm so glad I brought a plastic glove and sack along--there were definitely some squishy and buggy apples. But I brought home a bagful of pretty decent specimens, which will be transformed soon into apple pie filling and these.

Thanks to my mom for the clever post title--way better than what I came up with originally!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! :) Enjoy those apples -- a windfall in more than one way! :)

Love you, Mom

Debbie J. said...

I remember that Amy moment. She found an apple being raked up in the leaves and she said she could have made an individual apple crisp from it, but the other person threw it away.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I want some apples for applesauce and apple pie filling. I just haven't taken the time to go to the orchard.

Great job on asking for the apples!

Mary Ann said...

How wonderful! So far I don't know anyone around here who has apple trees(I keep looking!), but my sister was telling me about an orchard in the NC mountains that sells 2nds(perfect for applesauce) for $2 or $3 a box. If we can't get up there, she'll get me some.:-) I love making things out of fresh apples!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Oh, yum! That sounds delicious!

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

Oh I am *all* about asking

It's so fun to watch the ways God will provide-- especially when we'll show a little initiative. :)

justabeachkat said...

I haven't been by for a few days so it's been fun catching up on what you've been doing.

Hugs!
Kat

Susan said...

Yum! Love apple season. Need to try those muffins.

Angela said...

Great idea! I, too, enjoy picking the apples at the local apple orchard but sadly this season's late frost wiped out all the apples. :( I really thought Joshua might enjoy going this year. Glad to hear you found some apples!