Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Lending a hand

Most of you know we live in a college campus. In the past week alone, students have stopped by at various times to borrow a ladder, a table saw and a rolling pin. We are glad to be helpful in these instances, but I just wanted to share with you our unique perspective since we have hundreds of neighbors.

I received quite a few random requests in my years as the director of a women's dorm: eggs, a road atlas, a flashlight, a blender (which the borrower dropped, breaking the glass handle), a scarf (needed by an unprepared California girl), etc.

One humorous "borrowing" incident occurred one evening while I was visiting with some guests. A student stopped by to ask if I had any bread, which was not a big deal. I pointed her in the direction of the loaf and promptly returned to my conversation. A moment later, the student came into the living room again to ask if I had any peanut butter and jelly. I thought it was so funny that she hadn't just asked if she could make a sandwich, though I came to find that not much surprised me anymore!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is too funny! I bet you have lots of stories to tell living on campus!

Leah in Iowa said...

It says alot about you, Carrie, that people know they can come to you for needed items, and that they feel comfortable asking!

Just a suggestion ~ make a small "borrowing" notebook to keep track of who takes what. I wish I would have started mine earlier because I know I have many books, tapes, CD's, etc. out there, but I can't remember who has them!

Susan said...

That is great you have young people coming to you, even for little things. Just lending out the little things, is such a blessing.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Funny! I am sure life is never dull!

A, B & C said...

I can imagine what it's like, since I grew up on a college campus myself! It was actually fun, especially since my parents worked there. I always went to all the athletic events, parades, and had lunch with my Mom at the student union when I had a day off of school.

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

LOVE IT! I am really enjoying catching up with you today, rejoicing over your pretty shoebox package, perusing your book list, and salivating over your pizza recipe! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Anonymous said...

This is only one of the many ways you minister to students and fellow staffers -- thanks for sharing (with us and with them!) -- Love you, Mom

Mom2fur said...

It sure sounds like you live in a place where you can meet lots of people. Lucky for them you are so nice!

Rochelle said...

That is funny. One of my first day of classes for the semester... a math class... the guy next to me asked if he could borrow a piece of paper. A moment later he asked to borrow a pencil. This became a habit all semester long. I often wonder how well he did in that class!

Lisa said...

That's great! Also, thanks for the evening laughs as this post made me remember some funny campus stories around "lending a hand" during my time there :)

Sarah Markley said...

Hi Carrie! Thanks for stopping by - your blog seems much like mine: homey and comfortable. I look forward to reading more in the future. And I really like the Lamott quotation at the bottom! Grace never leaves us where it finds us. Thank you for the reminder.

Mom2fur said...

Hi, again! Thanks for visiting Sorta Frugal. Yep, I had fun with my shopping Saturday!
I was thinking of another thing that is nice about being in your situation...you get to be 'mom' to many more than your own kids!