Friday, September 28, 2007

Make your own mix: beer bread

This is the 3rd "Make your own mix" post--you can find the others here and here.

Last fall I hosted a home party for a company that sells various dip, bread and dessert mixes. The mixes are both tasty and simple, but they are certainly not cost-effective. A box of their popular beer bread mix costs $5 and makes just one loaf! While it was fun to give away some of the mixes for holiday gifts, when my mother-in-law said she had a recipe for beer bread, I decided to give it a try.

I conducted a little experiment, making one loaf using the brand name mix, and one homemade loaf. Several friends sampled a piece of each bread and then gave their opinion. All of them were able to distinguish which one was made from the package, as it was slightly sweeter and less dry than the homemade version. Next time, I may increase the sugar slightly, though some of the taste testers preferred the less sweet bread. For the savings, I think this version is a suitable substitute to the $5 mix.

Here's how to make your own beer bread, using just 3 ingredients:

3 c. self-rising flour (or 3 c. flour, 1 T. baking powder, and 1/2 T. salt)
3 T. sugar
1 12 oz. can beer

The bread is baked for an hour in a greased loaf pan at 375 degrees.

Though the mix wouldn't be very colorful on its own, you could still package the dry ingredients for a gift--it's so inexpensive and easy to make!

Note: The packaged version says you can make the bread with Sprite or even Coke, though I have not tried that yet with this homemade recipe. The box also suggests pouring a couple tablespoons of melted butter over the bread just after baking.
UPDATED: I tried these ideas in the days since my initial post. I made a loaf with a can of Sprite and poured one T. butter on top after baking--and it was delicious!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I am familiar with the mix that you are talking about. I have made a dip for that as well but have lost the recipe. Do you happen to have a good recipe that uses dill for a bread dip? THANKS.

Kara K said...

Carrie, it's funny I was just thinking about beer bread the other day and making a mental note that I should scour the internet for a recipe. Thanks!
Kara K

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I love to make my own mixes. Thanks for the recipe!

Carrie said...

Oh wow, well that sounds easy enough! I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
God bless :)

thehomespunheart said...

I made the mix you gave me with Coke and it was quite sweet - so for those who prefer less sweet, that would not be the best idea! Great job at figuring out a substitute to the mix!

Ewokgirl said...

I have the same recipe. It's great stuff and so simple to make!

I enjoy the occasional craft show, but I'm always astounded at how many companies are out there charging really high prices for simple food mixes. Making things from scratch is not difficult and often involves only a couple of extra steps above those of the mixes.

Rochelle said...

I have always been scared to make my own mix... but this doesn't seem bad at all! Great recipe!

Judy said...

I love the cream soup mix, now I am going to try the fajita one. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Will have to try this. I should, I live in the Beer Country!

WorksForMom said...

Wow,awesome recipe Carrie! And it doesn't look TOO hard.

Printing right now...

tegdirb92 said...

I've made this before and it is wonderful!! Thanks for reminding me to make it again. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Try it with Moutain Dew. I did it last night and cut back on the sugar. It was delicious

joey laroca said...

sounds pretty good think i'll try to make some of this