Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A message I needed to hear

I've read this story before on various occasions. Sometimes it really "gets" me, sometimes not so much. But yesterday, as I read it aloud to my son, I found myself getting choked up. If you're not familiar with the story, here's the summary from Amazon:

"Every day Wemmicks [small wooden people carved by a woodmaker named Eli] do the same thing--either stick gold stars or gray dots on one another. The pretty ones, those with smooth wood and fine paint, always get stars. The talented ones do, too. Others, though, who can do little or who have chipped paint, get ugly, gray dots. Punchinello is one of these. In this delightful tale, children will love hearing how Eli the woodcarver helps Punchinello understand how special he is--marks and all. It's a vital message for children everywhere: that God cherishes them just as they are."

The back of our abridged toddler version says, "It's a truth a child is never too young to hear." But I think it's a truth for people of all ages. Lately I've been caring too much about what others think, what their impressions of me are. But this story tenderly reminded me that it is my Maker who knows me best and who considers me one of His special children.

Here is the scene that spoke to my heart:

Eli: "What they [the other Wemmicks] think doesn't matter. All that matters is what I think. And I think you're pretty special."
Punchinello: (laughing) "Me, special? Why? I'm not very talented and my paint is peeling. Why do I matter to you?"
Eli: "Because you're mine. That's why you matter to me."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a needed reminder for all of us -- thank you for sharing. And by the way, I think you are pretty special! :)

Love you, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

I love the Wemmick books - they are all full of wonderful reminders on how we are special to God! Peeling paint and all!

mer said...

This is one of my favorite books. It's a beautiful story, and I can't ever get through it without tears. Thanks for the reminder of how our Creator sees us. I needed that today.

Next time you visit Colorado...I want us to get together!

Susan said...

Sounds like a great story. Need to check it out.

Mom2fur said...

I think we all need to hear this message...that we are each wonderful and unique in our own way!

A, B & C said...

Okay, I've definitely started crying! How sweet. I get choked up when I read " Guess How Much I Love You" to Love Bug.

spaghettipie said...

A beautiful reminder. I'll be sure to add this book to my "to buy" list.

Jill@Who Could Ask for Anything More said...

A pure and simple truth. Love it.