Monday, September 3, 2007

A radical invitation

On Saturday I "retreated" for the 2nd time, as I had committed to taking monthly retreats on the first one. The morning was sunny with a nice breeze, so I jumped on my bike and headed for a quiet spot outside.

I could hardly write fast enough to keep up with the thoughts that spilled onto my notebook, and then--I just sat quietly for awhile. During my first retreat, I began reading this book for the third time. The book truly is an invitation to solitude and silence. Solitude is pretty radical these days, and this book is a practical and insightful guide to getting started. I find myself underlining a statement on almost every page, as so much of what the author says resonates with me. Here is just one quote from the book by Ruth Haley Barton:

"To enter into solitude and silence is to take the spiritual life seriously. It is to take seriously the need to quiet the noise of our lives, to cease the constant striving of human effort, to pull away from our absorption in human relationships for a time in order to give God our undivided attention."

Barton is a busy working mom with a Type A personality--she definitely understands the challenges of creating space for solitude in our lives--but she's also come to understand the rich value of it. Time for quiet and contemplation is so important, and I encourage you to consider accepting this invitation.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Good for you for making those retreats a regular thing. Anything that keeps you sane is well worth it LOL
I have added that book to my "To Read" list and can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend!
God bless :)

A, B & C said...

I hope to check this book out once everthing calms down after the move. I know I could really use it now, but I just can't stop when I'm so close to the finish line! Thanks for reminding us to do this- it's so important for our spiritual well-being.

justabeachkat said...

Good for you. You go girl!

Hugs!
Kat

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

How great that are commiting to take time for yourself. I love that you don't spend it shopping, but rather to refresh your spirit!