Thursday, October 18, 2007

Before and after

Last year, after becoming pregnant, clothing items gradually rotated in and out of my closet. Pants that became uncomfortably snug made their way into a different closet so that I would not be reminded that they were no longer a current option. This process continued until everything left in my closet was specifically labeled "maternity."

A few months after my son was born, I dared to venture into that wardrobe of "before." (Oh, I've missed those jeans and those fabulous black pants! Etc.) However, trying things on for the first time postpartum was a very mournful experience. I realized some items may be forever relegated to "before." But as time passed, all those clothes with the stretchy waistbands crept out of my closet, and former clothes slowly but surely returned.

A few days ago, I retrieved a favorite pair of pants from the 2nd closet and tried them on for the umpteenth time because I have refused to let them go without a fight! (Not a diet, mind you--just hope.) And can I tell you they fit?! It was a very exciting occasion!

16 comments:

Leanne said...

Carrie,
that gives me hope as all of my clothes progressively get tighter and tighter!! Thank you!!

Angelena said...

Oh, sister! I've been down that road several times and what joy to have em' fit again! Congrats, girl! :)

A.

Frances said...

Yay!

Anonymous said...

Oh happy day! :)
Love you, Mom

Leah in Iowa said...

It's a nice feeling, isn't it, to have your favorite pair of pants back!? Maybe you'll be able to transfer even more from the "before" closet!! =)

mer said...

Hallelujah! I remember when I was finally able to button my favorite pair of jeans after my third child was born and it was a happy, happy day!

Maybe you should celebrate with some ice cream and cake...or would that defeat the purpose? *smile*

Enjoy your day!

thehomespunheart said...

Yeah! I always loved that feeling of being able to get back into my pre-baby favorite clothes! What fun!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Congratulations! I know that is a great feeling!

Niki RuralWritings said...

YAY!!! I love when that happens! Unfortunately it hasn't happened to me lately...lol

I hope you did the happy dance!
blessings,

Kathleen Marie said...

Congratulations! That is exciting to be sure.

Amy A. said...

It took me seven years after my last baby to get back into anything. I say you have a huge reason to celebrate!

Susan said...

Awesome! I was so happy when I was able to wear my jeans again. I never thought it would happen. You go girl.

justabeachkat said...

Yeah. You go girl! I remember the feeling of getting back into my favorite pair of jeans after my daughter was born. I did the happy dance :-)

Hugs!
Kat

A, B & C said...

I'm still working on it myself! I think this little bulge at my c-section scar might be a permanant fixture though. Any good tips on how you got there?

Carrie said...

OH congratulations!! I've only experienced that to a (very) small degree but it does give one a thrill, does it not?! Wonderful.

Amy said...

Whoohooo! That is the best feeling and gradually you will become reacquainted with all of those clothes in your closet.

I had a mommy mentor who told me that when her son was born she put all of her old clothes away with a "Do not open until..." and marked it a year from the date. She wasn't tempted to even try them on and it saved her a lot of anguish.

She said even after that date some of the stuff still didn't fit, but she had least had a good portion of her clothes back.

You go girlie!!