Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Living more with less part 1

Though this book was published in 1980, many of the observations and applications are still relevant. I have written a little series of posts to share what I learned from reading this treasure trove!

"Certainly your influence is small. But whether you conserve or waste, it is real. Many people using or not using things affects things in a big way. Gathering up the fragments of our waste--recycling, conserving, sharing--is a logical and authentic beginning. Such actions are the firstfruits of the harvest of justice. They are the promise of more to come."

The book suggests 5 standards for more with less living: do justice, learn from the world community, nurture people, cherish the natural order, and nonconform freely. Further explanation of these standards can be found on this informative site.

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I'm looking forward to reading through this series!

Niki RuralWritings said...

This is one of my very favourite books, I also love the more with less cookbook. I haven't read it for a while, I will enjoy reading through the series too!

Katie said...

Thanks for the post - I'll have to check this out!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie -- I bought this book shortly after you were born and think it is special that you found this book to be relevant still. Here's to living more with less! :) Love you, Mom

Susan said...

I really loved the cookbook!