Thursday, October 4, 2007

Melon and gourd

The other day while my son was napping, our dog started barking really loudly. I hadn't heard a knock, but I went to the front door, and a student was sitting on our porch. I asked if I could help him and he said,"It's Melon and Gourd week." Aha!

Every year, for a week in October, one of the men's dorms carries on this tradition. Like hot potato, you do not want to be caught with the melon (a canteloupe) or the gourd--ever. It makes for some pretty funny moments of chasing and paranoia. There are certain areas that are off-limits for being tagged, of course--and door handles are one; hence the student on our doorstep.

It is funny to see (young) men running like the wind to get to class or the cafeteria. The game ends tomorrow morning, and whoever is holding the melon and the gourd (two different people) at 10:00 has to take a bite out of it. The melon and gourd are looking quiet pathetic after hours of handling, and sometimes they're even sporting some duct tape after being dropped--yuk!

13 comments:

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Sounds like great fun for the students... well the students not found with the melon or gourd!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

That sounds like so much fun (unless you are stuck with the melon or gourd in the end)!

Niki said...

LOL ah...the student life!!!

Amy A. said...

I wonder who comes up with these whacky idea!

And can I say that I love your grandma?

Lisa said...

I just love all the dorm traditions and this is by far the craziest from the past few years :) Glad your house can be a safe shelter!!

spaghettipie said...

Okay, that's hilarious. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I read through your posts on going green and am going to have to come back because there's so much great stuff. I've been lurking on your blog for a little while and really enjoy reading it.

A, B & C said...

That sounds so fun! It's hard to believe that just 7 years ago I was playing powderpuff football, going to classes, and still ate in a dining hall for lunch everyday.
Crazy!

Rochelle said...

I have never heard of this! Sounds fun. I might have to get this started somehow!

Angela said...

Such a cute idea - it must be so fun to get to re-live those fun years!

Anonymous said...

Oh...this brings me back to Taylor, seeing how we were the originators of melon and gourd! :) What a fun week and fun to see everyone's ploys to escape doom day.

-Kendra

Kara K said...

I think the only thing that tops "The Gourd" is the shootout. I'm reminded of the pathetic ploys I would use to lure people out of their rooms. And then of course the water guns that wouldn't work. Yes, those were the days.

Kara K

WorksForMom said...

oh how hilarious! i never heard of that ONE!

Jason said...

I found your blog searching for any melon-gourd activity. It makes me laugh that a really dumb game Mark Rudy and I came up with in 1995 has grown so much in it's insanity. I knew Third West was my kinda place when I came to Taylor. I was pretty rough and unchurched and good friends like Dave Ritchie really helped me learn about God. Being on WWIII was a nice ease into being a disciple of Christ.
Coram Deo
Jason Habisch