Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The mystery box

One of my husband's responsibilities on our college campus is overseeing discipline. Of course, this is often the most difficult piece of his job. But occasionally, there are real breakthrough moments in students' lives, and at other times, humor comes into play, as it did in this little anecdote.

The other day when Eric showed up to work, there was a large cardboard box sitting outside his office. The box was addressed to him, and indicated that it was from two students who had recently been fined for breaking a campus policy. When Eric went to pick up the package, he was quite startled to find it much heavier than he had guessed. He and a colleague lugged it to the campus post office to see how much it weighed, and it was over 60 pounds!

Eric recalled that one of the students had asked if they could pay the fine in cash. When Eric told them that would be fine (ha ha!), they cleverly decided to pay in pennies! The box contained 10,000 coins, which Eric thought was quite funny. We just never know what students will come up with!

14 comments:

Niki RuralWritings said...

LOL where would they get 10000 pennies, can you walk into a bank and ask for your withdrawal in all pennies??? I guess so!
blessings,

Angela said...

Thank goodness for coinstar!!!

Anonymous said...

College students -- don't you love them?!? :)
Love, Mom

Judy said...

That must have taken those kids awhile to put together. I hope they had help. Imagine thinking that up. I echo your mom, you have to love them.

Lisa said...

CLASSIC!!! I'm telling you, we have a best seller on our hands if all the crazy campus stories we have collected over the years were turned into a book!!!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Oh, that is funny!

A, B & C said...

I'm glad your husband could see the humor in it! As a former cashier, this was my worst nightmare! LOL We had to start a store policy against paying with rolled coins to avoid this very thing!

Carrie said...

Holy cow! That's funny!
God bless :)

Kara K said...

Love the story!
There have been moments where I've wanted to take all the labels off of Eric's cans, but then I remember that it would be you who would skin me alive ...

KaraK

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! I can't imagine all the trouble that would take for both of them..but OH SO FUNNY!

Susan said...

Goodness!! How much did it cost to send that package?

Anonymous said...

To add a bit to the story...when I lugged the heavy (duct-taped) box to the bank, and told them what I needed, they laughed realizing they were on both ends of the process. The students had come in to that same bank asking for $100 of pennies for a "Student Activities" event a couple weeks prior, which certainly wasn't the case. (If you are curious, we fined these students for illegally installing a window air conditioner unit in their rooms...twice!) The penny counter said $99.99, so I plan on billing these students a penny. I also threatened to mail the package to the bank so they'd have to pay the shipping on a 62 pound box(payable by check, mind you). Creative way to get back on our good side, I guess.

Eric

Kathleen Marie said...

That is a lot of pennies! At least they paid the fine without complaining.

Have a great day!

justabeachkat said...

Toooo funny!

Hugs!
Kat