Friday, October 26, 2007

Relentless

Oh. My. Word.

After debating for months about whether or not to read this, I finally picked it up on Sunday. I devoured all 371 pages in less than 3 days--not a minor feat.

I had heard so much--too much, really--about the book. Nearly everyone said the same thing: "It is really disturbing but so worthwhile." I definitely agree with this statement. I was an English major, so I have read many books in my day. But I had never read one like this. I felt like I was on edge the whole time--my heart was often pounding, and a couple of scenes gave me chills. The story is relentless.

While The Kite Runner is fiction, we must acknowledge that injustice is a reality for far too many. Sometimes it's easy to be so engrossed in our own lives, our own worlds, that we forget about the suffering of others--especially people we've never met, in places we've never been to, in cultures we know little about. But like Amir in the story, I think we must also look inside ourselves and admit that the choices we make have consequences. (We should live as "children of light": Ephesians 4:22-32)

I am glad I decided to read the book, though I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I know the movie version is coming out soon, and I think I will opt not to see it. For more on the book, click here to read a review by my blogging friend Leah.

*I have been flying through my book list. Prior to Fall into Reading, I was reading about a book a month--now I've already completed 5 of my 6. Wahoo!

13 comments:

Judyf said...

My husband just got that book, and I plan to read it too. He also read and we will be reading it for our book club "A Thousand Slendid Suns" by the same author. His review was it is very powerful.

mer said...

Love that book. It's one of my top five favorites! I want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'm #142 on the holds list at our library. *sigh*

justabeachkat said...

I listen to books on tape in my car...not just when I travel, but all the time...and I listened to The Kite Runner not too long ago. It was read by the author which really made it special. I loved it. I want to get his latest one.

Hugs!
Kat

Ewokgirl said...

Oh my word, that is such a good book! I was so mad about that scene, but I forced myself to keep going, and I'm so glad I did! There's no other word for that book but amazing.

I intend to read his newest book.

I didn't know there would be a movie version. I don't think I could stomach the story played out on the big screen. Some things are just better left to the written word, IMO.

Carrie said...

Never heard of it, but I'm definitely curious now.
Have a great weekend!
God bless :)

Susan said...

Ok, you've got me. I must read this book. Thanks for the review.

Niki RuralWritings said...

I also debated back and forth with myself do i read it or dont i?
For now i've decided not to, maybe one day i will. good job on your book list!
blessings,

A, B & C said...

I'm glad to see that we didn't scare you off with our take on it. You're so right in your assessment. It's completey relentless, and you'll never completely shake it when you think about this book.

WorksForMom said...

Carrie, I have a treat for YOU on my blog...

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

VERY well worded. I felt the same way.

Rochelle said...

Okay... this sounds like a must read for me. I might be taking a 15 hour drive soon, maybe I'll get the book on tape. Thanks!

Amy said...

I have been wanting to read this. I am hoping to hit the library tonight so I will see if I can get a copy. I am reading "Eat,Pray,Love" right now and am devouring that.

I have heard so many good things about The Kite Runner- thanks for sharing your review!

Leah in Iowa said...

I agree with all you said, Carrie - it's not a book for "everyone"! And I, too, will stay away from the movie, simply because I'm afraid that if I "see" those yucky parts, I for SURE will not ever get them out of my mind!!! Another thought - how does one act out those scenes to make them believeable without being harmful??