Friday, November 2, 2007

And so I come

My monthly retreats have been such a needed time of refreshment. I don't follow a strict plan, but I like to begin by journaling. Writing down my thoughts has always been very helpful to me, and usually clarifying as well.

This week as I poured out my heart on the page, I listed some things I've been feeling lately (tired, overwhelmed), and then I wrote the phrase, "And so I come." Those words instantly brought to mind a song that has been very meaningful to me. Though I usually maintain silence in my retreats, I grabbed the CD and relished these lyrics:

Holy, You are still holy
Even when the darkness surrounds my life
Sovereign, You are still sovereign
Even when confusion has blinded my eyes

Lord, I don't deserve Your kind affection
When my unbelief has kept me from Your touch
I want my life to be a pure reflection of Your love

And so I come into Your chamber
And I dance at Your feet, Lord
You are my Saviour and I'm at Your mercy
All that has been in my life up 'til now
It belongs to You
You are still holy

Holy, You are still holy
Even though I don't understand Your ways
Sovereign, You will be sovereign
Even when my circumstances don't change

Lord, I don't deserve your tender patience
When my unbelief has kept me from Your truth
I want my life to be a sweet devotion to You

And so I come into Your chamber
And I dance at Your feet, Lord
You are my Saviour and I'm at Your mercy
All that has been in my life up 'til now
It belongs to You
I belong to You
You are still holy

(words by Rita Springer, sung by Kim Hill)

I've been discouraged about some things lately, and these words remind me that God is in control and that I can rest in that. He is holy, sovereign, kind, patient and merciful. And so I come.

9 comments:

mer said...

Oh, Carrie, that is one of my most favorite songs! See...we were meant to be friends!

I'm thankful you found some time to get away, and I'm glad you were able to offer God all that you were feeling...tired, overwhelmed...and found some rest in Him.

Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Carrie,

At the feet of Jesus -- a very good place to be! I am so glad that you make time for these times of retreat and pray that you will be encouraged and refreshed.

I love you -- Mom

Leah in Iowa said...

I have her CD, too - love it! I'm glad you were encouraged in your retreat, and I pray you continue these get-away times often! As a mom of young 'uns, it's so necessary!!

Katie said...

I had never thought of doing this - but what a wondeful way to take time out just to be with the Lord, reflect on life, and rejuvenate yourself to be a better person for your family! Thanks for sharing this!!

God is so wonderful, isn't He?? He is so faithful to us.

I also wanted to thank you for being such an encouragement to me. Your gentle, sweet spirit has really come through in your posts and I feel like we're friends!

Many blessings to you and yours,
Katie

thehomespunheart said...

I've loved this song too - it just has such powerful lyrics.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Great lyrics! I haven't heard that song, but will listening for it.

So glad that your retreats are helping you to refresh!

Susan said...

I really like the words to this song. I am glad you got to have some time of refreshment. Thanks for sharing this song.

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie:

Thanks for sharing that song. I have never heard it, but would love to. The words are great.
I'm so glad you can have this time of retreat and refreshment each month. It really does help get our focus off of self and onto the Lord, doesn't it? And he is SO good!
I'm praying for you, Honey.

Much love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you get these retreats - you need them and I know they refesh you. I was just reminded too this week that He is faithful even in times of anxiety and uncertainty. He always comes through! Love you!

Mandi