Friday, November 9, 2007

Battleground

I'm not entirely sure why I added Every Man's Battle to my Fall into Reading list. A lot of men at our college (including my husband) read the book together a couple years ago, and I considered reading it at the time. Seeing it on Megan's list of recommended reading brought the title back into light, so I added it to my list to ensure I'd pick it up.

It is not an easy book to read, as it deals with something that can be very uncomfortable: s*xual integrity. The title itself contends that this is a battle for every man. While it is not fun, lighthearted reading, it is eye-opening and challenging. It makes me want to commit to praying more for the men in my family. It makes me more aware of dressing and acting modestly. It makes me sick that an entire industry exists to lure men into promiscuity. Though this has not been a major issue in our marriage, for which I am thankful, the book offers wisdom, truth and freedom on a subject that is often undiscussed.

Women are wired so differently from men that I think this issue can be difficult to understand. The authors are incredibly honest about their struggles, which I'm sure many men can connect with. The book goes beyond discussing the danger of racy shows and websites, and discusses integrity in ways that even women are prone to fall: daydreaming, comparing your own husband to other men, even flirting.

The Bible says that we are to live above reproach. ("So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man." Acts 23:16) Whether male or female, married or single, integrity in this area is something worth fighting for.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Carrie,

This book is sitting on our shelf at home - my husband ordered it. I've read bits of it, but I would encourage every married couple - no matter how strong of bond you have - to read things of this nature to protect your marriage. Christians are not exempt from sin, and both men and women need to guard their hearts and minds by Christ Jesus to overcome evil, especially in regards to sexual temptation.

Thanks for posting this - it's never an easy subject but so important!!

Blessings,
Katie

Katie said...

Another well-written book of biblical counsel on this issue is called, "Not Even a Hint" by Joshua Harris. It's tailored mostly toward men but a very worthwhile read for couples....

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

This sounds like a wonderful book! I do think it is difficult for us to understand this issue, so I am sure reading the book would be very helpful!