Monday, December 3, 2007

7 things--Christmas version

Lauren posted this meme, and I thought it was a fun theme idea! Here are 7 random things about me, related to Christmas.

1. My sister and I created a little activity we called the ornament game. We would sit in front of the tree and take turns selecting an ornament, and the other person would have to guess which one it was by asking questions. We could play this game for a long time!

2. We always had homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast at our house growing up.

3. My family can only have an artificial tree because we live on a college campus and have to obey the fire code.

4. My parents allowed my sister and I to open our stockings first-thing, but we had to wait until at least 6:00 (!) before waking them.

5. I love our traditional Christmas Eve snacky supper (cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, etc.)

6. My favorite Christmas hymn is "O Holy Night."

7. My mom started this, and now my husband and I've adopted it. We give each other 4 gifts, according to the categories of this little poem: "Something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read."

I enjoyed writing this list and tag anyone else who loves Christmas!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This list made me smile! :) I was thinking of the ornament game last night as I sat enjoying our newly-decorated Christmas tree.

I think there were more than a few Christmas mornings that Dad and I woke up before 6:00 a.m. hearing excited little voices out by the Christmas tree opening stocking gifts. :)

Love you, Mom

mer said...

I think I'm going to teach my children your ornament game! Very clever.

I love reading about other peoples' traditions. Some of yours are very similar to mine!

Katie said...

What fun, Carrie! :-)

I really like the "4 gift idea" according to that poem - I think I might have to suggest that to our family!! How clever - thank your mom!!

Blessings,
Katie

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Love the 4 gift idea! Hum, we might have to borrow that idea.

Lisa said...

What a fun post...might just have to copy you :) Don't you wish the college would allow staff to have real trees! Each year I was tempted to break that rule, along with the rule of no cats :)

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

So much fun to read!!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

What great traditions! I love Martina McBride's version of O Holy Night. It is one of my favorites. I think I am going to steal some ideas from this post!

A, B & C said...

What a great meme! I loved hearing about your ornament game- how clever. And I love the poem to give gifts by... maybe I'll try that myself with Love Bug.

Niki RuralWritings said...

Lovely! We made our kids wait until 7am, you were lucky! Snacky supper is something we've done on Christmas Eve as well, it's a yummy meal. I hadn't heard of this poem until it appeared under comments on my blog, but I think it's an excellent guideline!

I've missed you, glad to read the new post! Blessings,

Our Red House said...

Thank you for visiting my blog.

That ornament game sounds like fun.

Isn't it amazing that we use the same poem, on opposite sides of the world?

Kate

Susan said...

I really love the gift poem. It really is brilliant, hats off to your mom! I would like to do that too.

Mom2fur said...

From the time my kids were little, I put their stockings in their rooms to find in the morning. The rule was similar to your parents' house, except it was 'wait until the sun comes up'!

justabeachkat said...

Hi there! It's been awhile since I stopped by...it's been crazy at my house with the decorating and getting ready for Christmas and I was also out of town for the weekend. But...I'm home and am enjoying catching up on my blogging. It's been fun reading all your post I've missed.

Hugs!
Kat

Amy A. said...

I love, love, love number seven. I think that will become my new motto!!

Amy said...

These are all such fun Christmas ideas. Thank you for sharing. The ornament game is classic ;) Can't wait until my kids can spend time doing this kind of activity :)