Thursday, December 6, 2007

Creative repurposing

Two recent examples of creative ways to recycle:

  • Students handed out these notebooks at a recent event. What a creative idea! The front and back is made from a cereal box, and the paper is printed on the back side (scratch paper from assignments and handouts). Though the college print shop assembled these, they wouldn't be difficult to duplicate if you had access to binding equipment at a school or office.
  • I've made much of my son's baby food, but he was not a fan of green veggies unless they were very smooth; thus, over the course of several months, we acquired nearly 100 small plastic Gerber containers. I've been washing and re-using them to portion my own purees, but I had a box sitting in the basement full of the extras. I couldn't bear to throw them away and planned to post them on Freecycle--hey, you never know what others might deem useful! Well, one of the dorm directors called me last week and said she wanted to give a little gift to each of the 200 women in her hall. She thought it would be fun to make sugar scrubs and needed small containers to package them in. I was thrilled--what a great way to re-use these little tubs! It's times like these that I'm glad I'm somewhat of a packrat!

10 comments:

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Great ideas. I recently saw someone make journals out of old "Little Book" childrens stories...they kept the stories in tack at the end of the book and the front was a journal for the kids. THey tied it together with ribbons. It was very cute.

Anonymous said...

Good ideas! :) I'm glad you still had the baby food containers when you got the request instead of having just gotten rid of them! Creative idea for the notebook -- I've never seen that!
Love you, Mom

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Love the notebook idea! I will add that to my endless of list of possible things to do.

Leah in Iowa said...

What fun and colorful notebooks they must have had! =) Cute idea!

Lisa said...

Very cool ideas for re-using! I would love the recipe for the scrub :) That would be a fun gift to make for students!!

Amy said...

That is a great idea and I am glad you were able to share your wealth with someone else that could use them.

The notebooks are really cute too!

Jody said...

I, too, made the girls' food, but meat just doesn't grind well so I had bunches of those containers. I use them as storage for scrapbooking.

That notebook idea is ingenius!

Susan said...

The notebooks is a good idea. I am having a hard time understanding what plastic baby containers you mean. I think I will know when I shop for baby food items in the store in US. Yeah, we are arriving tomorrow!!! Whoohoo!

A, B & C said...

I used a lot of my plastic or glass containers for my own purees as well!
If you have any left over, just give it a few years. After visiting a few friends with older kids, I've realized that we'll need them to hold the millions of little pieces that come with any new toy. Girls toys are especially bad (and I tremble with fear about tiny little shoes...) but I'm sure boys toys have their issues!
Great ideas!

Katie said...

How resourceful and creative!