Thursday, December 13, 2007

Like scarlet

Last night as were putting on our coats to head to a holiday party, I suddenly noticed a foul odor. A quick check of my son revealed he was not the culprit. As I looked around, I saw an ominous spot on the kitchen floor. And then another. Thinking my husband had tracked something in on his shoes, I quickly ushered him out of the house and grabbed the mop.

When we returned home from the party, I realized the clean-up job was not yet complete. Our dog was the one to blame and he must have walked across the entire house and back. I was not a happy camper as I scrubbed at dozens of stains. I decided I needed to think about something that would make the task less, um, stinky. Then it dawned on me that my sin is much the same as those yukky stains. I track it around, it stinks, and it sometimes goes unnoticed for awhile. How faithful my Master is to come along behind me and clean up my mess.

"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. --Isaiah 1:18

7 comments:

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Great analogy! You are so right. Thanks for the thoughtful post, even though I am sorry you had to clean up that mess!

Liisa said...

As a fellow dog owner I can relate and really appreciate your analogy! I hope you were able to get all the spots out!

Blessings,
Liisa

Ewokgirl said...

Oh, been there! One of the cats missed the litterbox, I stepped in it, then walked all through the house, completely oblivious at first. Such a mess!

Spot Shot is my best friend, especially as I have a cat with a sensitive tummy.

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Isn't it wonderful when the simplicity and yuckiness of life can be so enlightening!

WorksForMom said...

I, too, am a dog owner. And feel your pain. But you have a great attitude. Clean it up, IT happens! Right? :)

Saralyn said...

How gracious He is to teach us theology in the moments of life. I just posted on that today, too!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had a yukky clean-up job, but think it's great that you found a spiritual lesson in the midst of it. Thanks for sharing! Love you, Mom