Friday, December 14, 2007

Living more with less part 5

Suggestions from Living More with Less on teaching children to live more with less, with my thoughts in red:

  • Living speaks more clearly than talking. For example, an important factor in limiting children's TV watching is to curtail your own. In a recent small group discussion, the topic was television in the home--if and how we limit it, etc. I shared an idea of my mom's that excited several of the mothers in the group: TV money. When we were in elementary school, my mom made little "bills" in increments of a half-hour and an hour. As I recall, we were given 5 "dollars" per week to spend as we chose. We usually saved up 2 hours to watch the Sunday night Disney movie (remember that?!) and watched various sitcoms sparingly during the week.

  • Time is the most valued gift. Such a true reminder at this time of year when many of us seek that "perfect" gift.

  • Children, as they mature, need space in which to choose and develop their own values. Hmmm--I wonder what this looks like?

  • Children are strengthened by friends whose families hold values similar to their own.
Being so new to parenting, I don't have much to offer in the way of commentary on these points, especially the last two--these are just some of the phrases and ideas that caught my attention on the topic of teaching children about stewardship. I welcome your comments on this subject!

This concludes my series of notes from Living More with Less. Past posts can be found in the stewardship category on my sidebar. Thanks for adding your thoughts and suggestions!

7 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Totally remember TV money. We could also earn additional half hour increments by doing chores. Like brush dog or pick up crabapples for 15 minutes! :)

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I saw your comment about TV money! As I recall, you and Monica didn't like the idea much at the time -- but I can see that it left an impression! :) Love you, Mom

mer said...

I love the tv money idea!

And I agree so much with the last idea that children are strengthened by friends whose families have similar values. It has been such a blessing for us to find friends who are "like us" in regard to living simply.

A, B & C said...

We don't watch much TV and we never let Love Bug, but you probably remember my post about that. She will get to watch a little once she's two, and I love your Mom's idea for when she's older.
I think the concept of having friends with similar values is a hard thing to balance. All of our friends have values in common with us, but I wouldn't say we always having common values. But I like that and hope Love Bug learns from us having diverse friendships and finding the commonality in those.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Love the tv idea!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Love the money idea. I went to boarding school for high school (I wasn't sent there - I promise) and we didn't have a t.v. so I really haven't ever been in the habit of watching t.v. - I would much rather have quiet. So I try really hard to only let Joshua watch 30 minutes a day - but when he is older, I'll definitely do that money idea. :)

Niki RuralWritings said...

I love the dollar idea for tv time, I'm going to pass that idea along to Nessa!