Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Make your own mix: single serving hot cocoa

At the check-out in our grocery store, they're selling cute little packets of single serving hot chocolate. The price? $1.25! So, my friends, though I had never made hot chocolate mix until yesterday, I experimented with a one-cup serving recipe. Delicious! Not surprisingly, when I checked the back of our commercial-brand mix, the ingredients were remarkably similar--minus the partially hydrogenated oil.

So here you go--enjoy a mug this afternoon or package it as little stocking stuffers for loved ones. If you add peppermint (chopped and mixed in, or a mini candy cane tied to the package), it will be even better!

2 T. sugar
1 1/2 T. cocoa powder
1/3 c. powdered milk.

Add 1 c. water. Stir constantly on low heat.

7 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

I've been wanting for years to find just the right hot chocolate recipe and have tried several - this will be on my list to try soon! So glad you posted this!

Katie said...

Thank you Carrie! Timely post to finish off presents to give to my friends, neighbors, church family...I'm so enjoying your "make your own" series!!

Have a great day!
Katie

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Can't wait to give this a try!

Carrie said...

Hello Carrie!
Thanks for visiting my blog! Isn't homemade hot cocoa wonderful? Have a wonderful day! Blessings, Carrie.

Judy said...

This recipe came at just the right time, my daughter was looking for one. She has her sisters name in our family gift exchange, and is making homemade mixes for her gift.
Thanks for posting this one.

WorksForMom said...

Have I told you recently how much you rock? YOU ROCK. Thanks so much Carrie!

A, B & C said...

Great idea and I'll have to try it and see how I like it!
I have to admit that I love real hot chocolate and I always make it from scratch. We boil milk on the stove (or in the microwave if we're tired), add unsweetened chocolate and some sugar. We do go easy on the whipped cream and buy it instead of making it ourselves!