Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Stroopwaffels

Ever heard of a stroopwaffel? It's a decadent Dutch cookie, a "syrup waffle." Never mind that the syrup in these bad boys consists of a pound of butter--they are delicious! We make a batch each winter with an older couple named Howard and Bernice.
Making the cookies is a very interesting process. The dough is very thick and has to be kneaded until you think your arms will fall off. You then take spoonfuls of the glistening dough (coursing with another pound of butter--yikes!) and roll them into balls. If you make them too big, Howard (self--appointed to quality control) pinches some off, in a quest for consistency. Four at a time, the balls of dough are placed onto a pizzelle iron, a fancy sort of waffle iron. Then hot off the press, each cookie must be thinly sliced into 2 halves, drizzled with syrup, and pressed back together. We take turns switching jobs, except Howard who always mans the pizzelle.
I sure wish I could share one with each of you, but I hope you enjoyed reading about these tasty treats!

13 comments:

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

What a great tradition! Everything taste better with butter, right?

Lisa said...

YAY for Howard and Bernice! The Stroopwaffels look delicious (as always) and it's fun to see your two happy helpers :)

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

So fun!!

WorksForMom said...

I have never heard of those Carrie, but they look divine. And I love the shot of your two helpers. So priceless!

Anonymous said...

These are indeed tasty treats -- and what fun memories you've made with this annual event! Glad to see the photos -- Love you, Mom

Molly said...

Yum, I want some! :) What a special tradition!

Susan said...

I love Stroofwaffels! Looks like you had fun making them;)

Leah in Iowa said...

With all the butter in them, are you sure they didn't originate in the South with Paula Deen!? =)

They look so yummy, Carrie! What a labor of love, too. I checked out the pizzelle iron you posted, and saw that you can do four at a time. But still - lots of work involved. Friends make it more fun though, I'm sure! =)

Merry Christmas!

~ Leah

Niki RuralWritings said...

they look delicious, I've never heard of them before! Love the pics!

Overwhelmed! said...

Mmmmm....these sound yummy! Wish I could be there to eat one. :)

Hey, I wanted to let you know that I've got some free books up for grabs as part of my December Pay It Forward Book Exchange. Stop by if you're interested in a chance to win. :)

Kara K said...

Carrie those cookies are sooo wonderful. You're making my mouth water!

justabeachkat said...

Yum....wish I had one right now. I'm ready for a bedtime snack.

Hugs!
Kat

Ewokgirl said...

Mmmm... Those look wonderful! And now I'm rethinking my dinner plan and considering making waffles instead. Power of suggestion!