Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Secret veggies

I was recently lamenting to my sister that my son (who turns one next week!) has been quite picky lately, especially when it comes to eating veggies. I've been feeling pretty discouraged and not sure of what to try. I commented to Monica that Nathan loves baked goods, and she said something about trying to combine the two. It was a light-bulb moment for me, and I got really excited: I can make zucchini bread! Pumpkin muffins!

I then remembered this book that I received from Leanne which I had put on my shelf assuming it was for older kids. Au contraire! I devoured the ideas and read the recipes with great interest. Brownies with hidden carrot and spinach?! I tried 3 recipes (or adaptations of them) on the very first day, and they were all a success. I feel renewed hope and inspiration when it comes to planning meals with my son in mind. (And one of the things I appreciated about the author's meal planning is that, in addition to these hidden veggies, she always offers at least one "non-secret" vegetable dish at dinner.)


Idea #1 Since Nathan likes "grilled" cheese sandwiches, I spread squash puree on each slice of bread before adding the cheese and melting. He gobbled it up.

Idea #2 I made oat and applesauce muffins with a half-cup of the squash puree. He's loved these, too, so I'm planning to make more and freeze them for quick snacks during the holidays.

Idea #3 In the blender, I pureed wilted spinach with some of my homemade spaghetti sauce. I then made Nathan a "pizza" with the sauce, a half-slice of French bread, and a sprinkling of mozzarella. Another success!

Thanks again to Leanne for sending me this resource! Though there has been some controversy surrounding this particular book (previous books have been written on the same subject, the author is married to a celebrity, etc.), this approach is working for us right now. I'm all for that!

What works for others? Click here.

11 comments:

Lizzie said...

Apologies for piggy-backing on this post but I tried to send you an email and it wouldn't go through :(

I just wanted to let you know that I finally did my Cozy Shoebox Swap post and signed Mr Linky but was wondering if you wouldn't mind mentioning that I've updated on your main page so that as many people as possible who were involved with the swap can swing on by and see Jenny V's lovely box to me. I feel a bit guilty because I was so slack on signing Mr Linky and everyone has probably stopped checking back for new updates!

Here's the link to the post:

http://lizzieshome.blogspot.com/2007/12/cozy-shoebox-swap-finally.html

(may have to cut and paste that if it doesn't wrap)

Thankyou so much :)

Cheers,
Lizzie
http://lizzieshome.blogspot.com/

thehomespunheart said...

Yay! Carrie, I'm so glad this worked out and I enjoyed seeing your ideas, amazing! Good job, Nathan - for gobbling up those veggies!! :)

Niki RuralWritings said...

What a super idea Carrie! I think I saw a cookbook about this lately.

mer said...

I haven't read this book, but I've been known to puree zucchini and put in spaghetti sauce or puree cauliflower and sneak it into soup. My kids have never been the wiser! I have this book on hold at my library and can't wait to read it! Especially now that you posted about the ideas that you gleaned!

Anonymous said...

I'm all for what works, too! Glad you found some ideas that get some good nourishment into our little man! :) Love you, Mom

Monica said...

I've been wanting to check this book out. Now I will! Thanks.

Katie said...

Thanks for this Carrie! The battle with my 1 year old daughter has been eating - only it's just the opposite - she LOVES veggies/meat but nothing sweet!? She is a little peanut and has trouble putting weight on. She won't drink milk or juice - I'm still nursing her (not as much as when she was younger), and she detests the taste of formula! So, getting calories into her has been a battle. Fortunately she likes cottage cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products, but I can use all the help I can get when it comes to getting creative in feeding little ones! Thanks for this post!

Blessings,
Katie

Liisa said...

Thanks so much for these ideas! I have several little monkeys to feed lunch to and they are so picky and won't try anything that even looks like a veggie. I am all for hiding them!

Blessings,
Liisa

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I have got to get this book! I have seen several people mention that they had success with it.

Leanne said...

That is awesome!
I'm so glad you are getting good use out of that book!
Love,
Leanne

Amy said...

Yeah, I got a whole bunch of flack for interviewing the author and sharing about her book. I went to school for nutrition and completely support her idea for sneaking in fruits and veggies and for sharing these foods with our children.

Keep up the great work, Carrie! You are an awesome momma!