Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cultivating joy

Sunday's sermon was well-timed for me. I haven't been feeling very joyful lately, and joy was the subject of our pastor's message. He defined joy as grace + gratitude, and he said that to cultivate joy, we should be on the lookout for God's gracious gifts, and also we should intentionally pray the Scriptures. Challenged by those points, I set out to find a passage that would help me focus on being more grateful, and thus more joyful.

As I searched for verses containing the words "joy," "heart," and "thanks," I came across a familiar passage. Eric and I selected Colossians 3:1-17 to be read at our wedding, and the end of that section says:

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

I will be praying these verses this week and hopefully beyond. Anyone want to join me in praying a specific passage of Scripture this week?

8 comments:

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Lately, we have had 2 major things going on in our lives that we have no choice but to wait on the Lord to show us what he wants for us. We also really need to trust him so I'm always, always reminding myself to,"Trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding." But the following verses are ones I really need to commit to as well. Thanks for the great reminder!

Psalm 27:14
Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Psalm 33:20
We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.

mer said...

Hi Carrie...

Wow...that is a timely verse for me today. I'll pray it with you this week. And if another comes to mind today, I'll let you know. Thanks for your post. I needed to read those words this morning.

Jamie said...

Hi Carrie,
Thanks for visiting my blog! :-) So yes I am from Illinois, not Colorado as the picture would have you assume! We were visiting my husband's grandparents in the picture! It is so beautiful there. That picture was taken in Estes from their deck! I was jealous! The view from my deck is just not the same! I actually grew up "almost" in Iowa though now I live close to Chicago. If you are driving on I-80 you pass near my hometown just as you enter Illinois! :) Have a joyful day!

justabeachkat said...

Here's one I love. It comforts me.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Hugs!
Kat

Susan said...

.."And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matt 28:20

I don't know, that just does it for me. My husband is probably one of the most joyful guys I know. He is an inspiration to me! The Joy of the Lord really is his strength.

Ewokgirl said...

Oh my. Carrie, thank you! I really needed that particular scripture today. I don't really want to get into why, but it has to do with some stuff going on at church right now. I've been pretty upset, and that passage just really spoke to me deeply.

Liisa said...

Thanks for posting this! I looked through scriptures on joy and found this one which really stood out for me....

Pslam 86:4 Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Blessings,
Liisa

Katie said...

Carrie,

Thank you for this post ~ some well timed encouragement!

I am praying Psalms 30 and 31. Verse 5 of Psalm 31 particularly sticks out to me - God deserves my full, undivided commitment - He is worthy of all praise!

Thank you and bless you!
Katie