Monday, January 7, 2008

Dollar Dime Day

It is so good to be back! I haven't had a chance to post or to check most of your blogs since we've returned from our holiday travels, but I look forward to catching up in the next couple of days! I want to share photos from our celebrations but need another day or two to get them sorted out. In the meantime, I wanted to tell you about a fabulous bargain-hunters' dream from the past weekend:

Dollar Dime Day! My favorite local consignment store clears out their entire inventory twice a year during the course of a week. Monday through Thursday, all items are half-off. On Friday, the discount jumps to 75%. Not too shabby. But the real deals come on Saturday: anything that is priced less than $4 becomes a DIME, and anything over $4 becomes a dollar. Wahoo!

You can imagine the scene. Crowds of people, ransacked racks, packed dressing rooms. I had a blast! For my son, I snatched up 3 cute long-sleeve shirts for 10 cents apiece, and paid a dollar each for a denim jacket and nice sweater. I even bought a couple of gifts at the deeply discounted prices, and a couple of nice sweaters for myself. My favorite find of the day was a barely-worn pair of navy Dockers for my husband. The prices can't be beat! Adding up the totals at the check-out counter was made even more fun when I discovered I had a solid amount of credit from clothes I had sold at the shop. Gotta love cash back!

Anyone else have a local sale event that's hard to pass up? What do you do with clothes you've outgrown or no longer want?

11 comments:

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

How wonderful Carrie! I have been saving Megan's outgrown clothes. I have been pondering if I should or not, but that is complicated. As for the grown ups, I give our clothing to a local Christan charity.

Niki RuralWritings said...

thats some fun shopping! Welcome back, hope your Christmas was wonderful.
Blessings,

Anonymous said...

Great deals -- and even better that you had some credit from previously consigned items! Way to go!

PS: It's good to have you back -- I've missed your blog! :)

Love you, Mom

mer said...

SO glad you're back, Carrie!

Wow, sounds like you scored some major bargains. I can't remember the last time I bought anything for .10, not to mention clothes! Yay for you.

I usually give my kid's clothes away to friends. I like being able to see my favorite outfits again! Like yesterday at church, the boy in front of us was wearing my son's outgrown winter coat and button-up shirt. It made me smile.

I've only done this once before, but I'm gathering some of my stuff to take to a consignment store next week. I generally give away so much of my stuff, but I have some nicer things that it would be super to get a little money for because I'm saving for a new pair of hiking boots!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Glad you are back! What a fun shopping trip!

Amy said...

What great deals! We don't have a lot of deals like that, but once a year the Jr League throws a thrift sale event to rival all others in town. I am there right when the doors open so I can get the best stuff. The stuff is incredible and I look forward to it the entire year ;) Enjoy your deals and WELCOME BACK! You were missed!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Welcome back! And that sounds like FUN, FUN shopping!!

Ewokgirl said...

I'm glad to see you're back! While I won't say that your shopping trip sounds fun (I hate crowds!), it does sound like you found some amazing bargains! We have a Goodwill that just opened up near our house, and I have plans to check it out this week. I'm a thrifting novice, admittedly.

Stacey said...

Carrie- small world indeed! I am praying for you today...knowing that we are word buddies and all!

I also have a wonderful devotion from yesterday that I want to share with you!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Carrie:

I too have missed your blog posts.

Congratulations on the bargains you found. Joanie & I found some real bargains on New Years Day. It was so much fun watching her enjoy her bargain shopping!

Looking forward to hearing more about your holidays.

Love you, Grandma

Amy A. said...

Where in the world is this magical place? Must be out of town.

Good job shopping!