Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Make your own cake mix

For my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised to receive my mom's yellow Bundt pan. I've wanted one for awhile, but had specifically told her I did not want a new pan, and was waiting patiently until someone in the family decided to pass theirs along.

Since I hosted two friends for lunch the day after opening my gifts, I scrapped my brownie plans and looked through the Bundt recipes I've saved over the years. A cinnamon swirl cake caught my eye, but I noticed with disappointment that it called for a yellow cake mix, which I did not have on hand. Then it dawned on me that you can find any recipe on-line, and I was excited to find this recipe for homemade cake mix.

I divided the recipe in thirds, wanting to try it out before I made the triple batch of mix the recipe called for. Here's what you need to make a single batch, followed by the recipe for the delicious cinnamon swirl cake.

Homemade cake mix:

2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. salt (which I omit)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 T. and 1 t. baking powder
1/4 c. butter

Combine until fine and well-mixed. Recipe says the mixture can be refrigerated or frozen.

Cinnamon swirl Bundt cake

1 yellow cake mix (or equivalent)
1 package vanilla instant pudding
3/4 c. oil
3/4 c. water
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla

Mix all ingredients, and beat on high. Pour 1/3 of batter into a well-greased Bundt pan. Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar mixture (1/4 c. sugar and 1 t. cinnamon) over batter. Repeat, adding a third of the batter and the cinnamon sugar. Top with final 1/3 of batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Once cool, cover with glaze: 1 c. powdered sugar, 2 T. milk, 1/2 t. vanilla

19 comments:

mer said...

Carrie...that cake looks yummy! You're so resourceful. I don't think it ever would have occurred to me to look for a cake mix recipe.

Guess what? I have a yellow bundt pan that belonged to my grandmother. It's well seasonsed and though I have another one I got as a wedding gift, I always use the yellow one.

thehomespunheart said...

Mmmm - Carrie, that looks great! I was always afraid that a Bundt cake would be hard to get out of the pan, but yours looks great!

Frances said...

I usually reduce or omit the salt called for in cooking recipes, but I thought that the salt called for in baking recipes is essential. I believe I was told that it activates the baking powder/soda. Perhaps another commenter can support or correct my thinking?

The cake looks yummy, Carrie - thanks for sharing the make-it-yourself recipe.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

That cake looks so good! What a great idea to look for a mix recipe online. I would have given up or gone to the store!

Liisa said...

I just recieved my Nanny's bundt pan and I have been looking for a good recipe to try in it. This looks like the one!

Blessings,
Liisa

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Love the idea of homemade cake mix. Thanks!

A, B & C said...

Carrie,
That cake looks (and sounds) so good, I could almost fly 4,000 miles to have a piece! I love bundt cakes and I'll have to try that recipe myself.
Thanks for another great tip :-)

Ewokgirl said...

I've heard that salt is supposed to help bring out the sweet flavor. It's the reason some people salt their fruit, which I think is weird.

The cake looks beautiful. I never use boxed cake mixes, but I have run across many recipes that call for them. Thanks for posting an alternative.

Amy A. said...

You are so industrious! Looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

My girls and i made the cake tonight and the family loved it!!! Thanks Carrie--tammyp

MamaGeek said...

WOW, that is a thing of beauty Carrie! And I'm so glad you loved Once - it is so lovely!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carrie,

Your bundt cake looks beautiful! I'm so glad that my old pan will have a new life being enjoyed and used in your kitchen! :)

Love you, Mom

justabeachkat said...

Wow...it's sure looks yummy! Did it taste as good as it looks?

Hugs!
Kat

Niki RuralWritings said...

I'm making note of that cake mix recipe, what a great thing to have on hand! The cake looks beautiful.
blessings,

jennwa said...

That looks and sounds terrific.

Amy said...

I am going to have to try that. Thank you for the recipe idea. Your cake looks so pretty!

spaghettipie said...

Salt slows down the leavening process to be more even (e.g. why you separate salt and yeast when you make bread in a bread maker). It's also said to react with the gluten to make the dough a little stronger.

Recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am new just wanted to let you know that the pudding can be from scratch too.Vanilla Pudding Mix
Ingredients:
3 cups nonfat dry milk
4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Mix all except the vanilla, and store in an airtight container. To prepare, mix 1/2 cup of mix to 2 cups milk. Heat and stir constantly while boiling. Cool, then add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.

jules said...

I'm going to try your cake recipe and also love your cake plate too!