Thursday, January 10, 2008

The power of one word

Amy's recent post reminded me of the power of selecting a single word that represents something you're trying to focus on. As she begins the new year, her word is "fresh." Ali Edwards has some cool and artsy ideas for keeping your word in view (she chose "vitality")--check out her ideas here.

In my first year as a dorm director, I felt like I was constantly praying for wisdom. Interacting with students and making big decisions demanded that I be conscientious. A friend gave me a little stone with the word "wisdom" etched into it as a visual reminder.

Lately, the word I have been focusing on is HOPE. 2007 was a difficult year for us, and some days I feel discouraged and overwhelmed. These lines from the beloved hymn "Great is Thy Faithfulness" have been very meaningful to me: "strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow." I sing those words, I pray them, I hold them near.

I also take great comfort in this passage from Lamentations 3:21-24:

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.


I made a little "hope" garland and hung it as a reminder in a prominent place in my kitchen. Seeing it each day encourages me to persevere!

What would be your one word?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a new employee starting work on Monday whose name is Hope ~ so each weekday I'll be reminded of your word!

As for what word I would choose, I'll have to think about that! Love you, Mom

Amy said...

Hope is an important word for me, too. In fact, my blog is Hope Is the Word from the quote "Hope is the word God has written on the brow of every man" by Victor Hugo.

I love Ali Edwards!

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Hope use to be my word. I hoped and prayed, prayed and hoped that I would have a baby. Now that I have my sweet little girl my word would be rejoice! It is a great reminder on those tough days that I should rejoice for all He has blessed me with!

Niki RuralWritings said...

hmmm....I like the idea, but I have to give it some thought...maybe Calm, as we have so many big deals coming up this year!

Leah in Iowa said...

My word for this year is PRAYER. I hope to read and learn more about it, and implement more of it this year! =)

thehomespunheart said...

Can mine be two words? It would be "Clean Heart" ~ it has been on my mind for a good part of a year already and is becoming more and more a theme for this year.

Ewokgirl said...

I really like this question you've posed. I think my word for the year would have to be Blessings. We had a rough 2007 in many ways with expensive house repairs, general home stress since our house is such a lemon, an ER visit, complications with my husband's kidney disease, my grandmother is dying...

Towards the end, I was feeling extremely negative, so the thing I hope to do now is simply to focus on the many blessings in my life. When I do that, all the bad stuff fades into the background, and I feel less stressed.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

BLESSED. That is my word!

Leanne said...

I love the word HOPE...
I might need to try this with the word...
CONTENT...
Thanks for the idea!
Leanne

Susan said...

Carrie, you word reminds of the days at Cresent Circle, "The Allure of Hope". Yours is a good question. I think passion. What am I passionate about? What makes my heart burn? John Elderidge anyone?

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. I think i agree that i need to think on contentment too.Yikes!! tammyp

gail said...

hi carrie,
i have been doing this for the past 5 years! its so cool to see that others have had the same idea. my word for this year is freedom. freedom in Christ and freedom from bondage.

it is always so cool to see how the Lord uses the word for the year in my life. the first year my word was gratitude and boy, did He work in me a heart of gratitude that year.

i'm going to check out the blog you noted that does some creative things to keep the word up front. i need some more ideas =)

gail in idaho

Amy A. said...

That's a good idea to display your word to keep it in mind for the year. I'll have to think of a creative way to do that.