Monday, January 14, 2008

Springing into reading

You may remember "Fall into Reading," which was hosted by Callapidder Days. Because the event ended right before Christmas, I forgot to post at the end. I'm so glad I joined in, though, as I found that I was much more motivated to read because I had a specific (but manageable) list, as well as a deadline. In order to "wrap it up," I'm supposed to pick a favorite book. I'm not sure I can do that, as I picked such a wide variety. Living More with Less definitely impacted me the most, as you can deduce from the series of posts I wrote. And I liked The Kite Runner and At Home in Mitford enough that you'll see their sequels on my list.

When I read in the paper that our local library is sponsoring an adult reading challenge, I signed up to participate. We need to read at least 12 books between today (1/14) and April 5. That will stretch me, as I think I read 8 books for the fall session. But I'm excited to try, and each participant who reads 12+ books wins a prize--wahoo! (And it looks like I might be able to double-up, as I noticed Callapidder Days hosted a spring reading challenge in 2007.)

Here is my (updated) list of what I'd like to read this spring:
  • Animal Vegetable Miracle by B. Kingsolver
  • Serve God, Save the Planet by M. Sleeth
  • Frugal Luxuries by T. McBride
  • The Jane Austen Book Club by K.J. Fowler
  • Eat, Pray, Love by E. Gilbert
  • A Light in the Window by J. Karon
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by K. Hosseini
  • Idol Eyes by Mandisa
  • Living Simply by J. Heim
  • Grace Eventually by A. Lamott
  • Summer Snow by N. Baart

12 comments:

Niki RuralWritings said...

Hi carrie, we've been enjoying Pillars of the Earth. I also just finished a good old book by Gene Stratton Porter called Keeper of the Bees, she also wrote one of my very favourites Girl of the Limberlost. Your reading list looks good!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget...Nicole Baart's second book, "Summer Snow" will be coming to you soon!!! :)

-Kendra

Frances said...

Carrie, at your recommendation I requested that our library purchase Serve God Save the Planet. The book came in last week so I will be reading it in the coming weeks, too!

If I think of any books to recommend, you'll be hearing from me again. :)

Amy said...

This looks like a great reading list! I read Eat, Pray, Love and enjoyed it. It can be a bit new age-y at times, but I appreciated the lesson that you could find God in unlikely places. I think you have to approach that one with an open mind.

I will be adding these to my reading list- thanks for sharing yours!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I am about to start A Thousand Splendid Suns. We'll have to compare notes!

Kathie said...

I liked Animal, Vegetable, Miracle but loved "Coming Home to Eat" by Gary Paul Nabhan - if you haven't already read that and are interested in local eating, that's a great book too!

Susan said...

The Serve God Save the Planet title sounds intriguing. Books to recommend, Mark of the Lion Series from Francine Rivers. The Poisonwood Bible...? Anyway have fun reading making your reading list.

A, B & C said...

Sounds like a great list and I can't wait to hear what you think of "Eat, Pray, Love". I just found a few old favorites on my shelves and I wonder if you've ever read "Snow Falling On Cedars"? It was a favorite of mine from a senior literature class in high school. I'm working on "Love in the Time of Cholera" and "Atonement" so I can see the movies after. (I hate seeing a movie before I've read the book.)

jennwa said...

Wow that is quite a challenge. I belong to a book club and it is hard enough for me to read 1 book a month. Although,it does sound like a lot of fun, and gives you a good incentive to get you to read.

Ewokgirl said...

Potok! You have to read Potok! My sweet hubby gave me 2 first edition Potok books for Christmas, and I'm in the middle of one right now. So good! I'm reading In the Beginning.

But I highly recommend My Name Is Asher Lev. Or really, any of his other books. They are so thought provoking and deep, but very enjoyable to read.

Anonymous said...

So many books ~ so little time! I was interested to read your list as well as the suggested books in the comments. Happy reading! Love, Mom

Dustin F said...

Hi, I believe I posted on your blog once before, so I hope you don't mind me posting again. You mentioned Dr. Sleeth's book Serve God, Save the Planet, and I wanted to mention the website for his book (www.servegodsavetheplanet.org), as well as that for A Rocha USA, a Christian environmental group that supports some of his work (en.arocha.org/usa). Thanks!