Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wheat critters

Because my son likes crackers so much, I thought it would be good to make them sometimes instead of just dishing them straight from a box. My mom used to make these for us when we were little. She called them "critters" because she made them in animal shapes, but you can use any cookie cutter you'd like! I made hearts in honor of Valentine's Day.

Here's the recipe for wheat critters:

1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 c. white flour
1 stick (1/2 c.) margarine
1/3 c. honey
1/2 c. milk

Combine ingredients. Mix dough well and chill for several hours. On floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and re-roll as needed. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Use a fork to prick the top of each cracker. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, and cool on wire rack. (Makes about 3 dozen, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember where this recipe came from, but I remember that you especially liked these. I hope our little man does, too! Love you, Mom

mer said...

Sounds like a recipe I need to try! I love that it has whole wheat flour!

What's the verdict? Did your little guy like them??

Liisa said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I am trying to make more things myself at home and my little monkeys just love crackers so I am looking forward to giving these a try!

Blessings,
Liisa

jennwa said...

They sound good and easy. That is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

Sounds easy I am sure healthier then what you can buy in the store. I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

I'm very excited to make these!! You know I love your "from scratch" recipes!! I bet these won't stick around long with my son in the room and some slices of cheese to go with!

And stop over when you can to pick up your award! :-)

Blessings,
Katie

A, B & C said...

These sound great- I'll have to try them. Thanks for the wonderful tip, as usual.

Ewokgirl said...

That looks easy enough. I'll have to remember to try these soon.

Amy A. said...

Heart shaped crackers are very cute. I'm sure they won't last long!