Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Winter One-derland

Isn't it amazing what ideas you can find on-line? I knew I wanted to do a winter/snowman theme (when I say theme, I mean cake and a couple additional simple details) for Nathan's first birthday. When I found this cake design, I knew it was the right one. My mother-in-law willingly searched for the needed candies, and even bought edible glitter to replace the coconut (several in our crowd are not fans of this yummy treat), and my two sisters-in-law helped decorate. Here's how the cake turned out--my favorite part is the scarf!
The napkins were purchased on the half-off clearance at Target several years ago and I am so glad I saved them:
I made the invitations with materials I already had on hand. I stamped the front with silver snowflakes to create a frame and then included Nathan's one-year portrait in the center. Here's the pose we selected:
Our party was at lunch-time, so we served kid favorites: mac and cheese, pb+j sandwiches cut into quarters, canned pears (Nathan loves these!) and snowflake-shaped pretzels. The menu was a hit with the adults, too!

We had a wonderful time, and I enjoyed watching Nathan eat his cake. As a little boy who usually does everything with much gusto, I was surprised at how gentle he was!
Thanks to all of you who left kind birthday wishes!

12 comments:

Niki RuralWritings said...

I Love the portrait and the cake! Great idea!It sounds like a lovely party.

mer said...

Adorable...both the boy and the cake!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see these photos of our little man's first birthday! Wish I could have been at the party ~ Love you, Mom

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

What a great portrait! The cake is adorable. First birthday cake moments are also so fun!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

That cake is ADORABLE! I love his picture with the N as well. So cute! I am glad everything went well!

Leah in Iowa said...

Seeing those photos made me smile. Your little guy is just adorable! Cute cake, too!

Amy said...

I love your cake and that was such a smart and frugal idea to use the after-Christmas sales supplies for the party. His birthday is so close to Emily's so I will have to keep that in mind one year for that. I have some ideas already floating in my head for things I could add to that theme. Thanks for sharing!

thehomespunheart said...

Carrie - everything turned out so cute! Love the cake!

Angela - Life w/ One Busy Boy said...

Super cute cake!!

Susan said...

I enjoyed you cake idea. Also the photo with an "N". Can you believe it is already a year? JR will be a year in another month!

Kara K said...

Oh Carrie, the picture with Nathan and the big "N" is absolutely precious. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to looking at Dec. pictures. :)

Love,
Kara K

Liisa said...

I loved the cake! We had a snow theme for one of my son's birthday parties when he was little as he was born in January. It was such fun! We hung snowflakes all over and had a snowman cake as well though ours was not so cute!

Blessings,
Liisa